Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading to Rubicon 44's in my JK

Old 12-16-2016, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Upgrading to Rubicon 44's in my JK

So I finally found a Rubicon rear axle with 4.10's and a locker.
Been looking for a front for awhile but haven't had any luck so I've decided to pick up one of the Mopar crate axles and do the swap next weekend.
I've got the wiring all sorted out, and my switches should be here from OTRATTW Tuesday.
Any body do this and have any tips or comments ?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Old 12-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

It's pretty straight forward. I did add a safety switch to my system so that the two OTTRAW switches couldn't be activated my mistake. I have the locker switches under the heater controls and the safety switch located to the left of the steering column on the dash.

EDIT - the way I have it wired means that the upper light (square) comes on when I hit the switch and the bar-light comes on once the locker engages.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo254.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	662994
Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmmmm, might think about wiring it like that, I do like that.
I am putting my switches in the top of the left knee bolster, so having them lit with vehicle lights is null, really won't see them anyway. I did order a safety switch also, well, not actually a locking safety switch, but a master locker power switch.
Did you order the plugs for the locker or did you make them with mini speaker plugs?
What gage wire did you use ?

Last edited by jdinny; 12-17-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

there are write ups on doing this if you just search instead of asking this up on every forum.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jdinny
Hmmmmm, might think about wiring it like that, I do like that.
I am putting my switches in the top of the left knee bolster, so having them lit with vehicle lights is null, really won't see them anyway. I did order a safety switch also, well, not actually a locking safety switch, but a master locker power switch.
Did you order the plugs for the locker or did you make them with mini speaker plugs?
What gage wire did you use ?
I got a donor harness from the junk yard and cut out the plugs I needed. I honestly don't remember the gauge wire I used... it doesn't have to be very heavy. As Dirtman said, there's several write-ups on this topic. I believe I went with 14 or 16 gauge, but which one, I can't remember and I'm deployed now so I can't get under the jeep and look.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup, I've been reading everything I could find, just wanted to hear from someone who's done it, and if they had any tips.
Sorry if I bothered Dirtman.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Having already done the same thing as you, I would highly recommend getting an sPOD. If you're even considering getting one down the road, I would go ahead and do it. It makes the wiring an absolute no brainer. I finally got tired of the rats nest of wire and relays around my battery between the Rigid dually's, 12" light bar, front and rear lockers, and then adding my LUX rock lights. If I had known what I know now...I would have just started with it first and saved myself one helluva headache. I also opted to cut into my dash to mount the OTRATTW switches. I had to go back and epoxy, sand, patch, and paint the holes once I installed it. I honestly couldn't be any happier!

On another note...if you have the correct 5 pin switches from OTRATTW, you can wire them up so the trigger light on the switch itself will illuminate once the locker is engaged. Not just when the switch has power. I'm including the wiring diagram for that.

Before:

Name:	10516874_10152313590858371_3398597374503091695_n.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	662996
After:

Name:	IMG_7408.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	662998
Wiring diagram:

Name:	locker_dia.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	662997
Old 12-17-2016, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

I built my own switch system so I don't have the nest that he (^^^) refers to, but if you don't have that ability, well, an sPod is a good piece of kit... and to that....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/seas...ackage-338807/
Old 12-17-2016, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
there are write ups on doing this if you just search instead of asking this up on every forum.
What is your problem man ?
I spent 3 tours in Vietnam as a USMC sniper. I've been shot at in huey's, shot at on the ground, shot at in Jeeps, shot at in the jungle, and shot at walking on rice patty damns, and I have never been attacked/shot at as much as on these Jeep forums.
Some of you guys are just too much.
I enjoy sharing the knowledge I've gathered in my 63 years, and helping others with whatever I can.
These forums are supposed to be here to help others, I thought, I guess I better search that too.
I would pay big money to actually meet some of you, and just see how tough you really are.
Have a great day, and a wonderful Holiday season, and when you're busting someone's balls on a forum, stop and think that that son-of-a-bitch just might be an asshole like me, that sacrificed his or her life, to insure you could be free and enjoy Jeeps, and life as you do!!

Semper-Fi man, once a Marine, always a Marine
Merry Christmas
Old 12-17-2016, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jdinny
What is your problem man ? I spent 3 tours in Vietnam as a USMC sniper. I've been shot at in huey's, shot at on the ground, shot at in Jeeps, shot at in the jungle, and shot at walking on rice patty damns, and I have never been attacked/shot at as much as on these Jeep forums. Some of you guys are just too much. I enjoy sharing the knowledge I've gathered in my 63 years, and helping others with whatever I can. These forums are supposed to be here to help others, I thought, I guess I better search that too. I would pay big money to actually meet some of you, and just see how tough you really are. Have a great day, and a wonderful Holiday season, and when you're busting someone's balls on a forum, stop and think that that son-of-a-bitch just might be an asshole like me, that sacrificed his or her life, to insure you could be free and enjoy Jeeps, and life as you do!! Semper-Fi man, once a Marine, always a Marine Merry Christmas
Don't sweat the small stuff Marine. I get thanked all the time for "my service" to the point that it frustrates me at times; though I am appreciative of the sentiments.

I want to thank you, and the Vietnam/Korea vets who never had the opportunity to be frustrated by people saying "thank you."

Thank You Sir!

S/F

Doc

Quick Reply: Upgrading to Rubicon 44's in my JK