Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superwinch Epi9.0 mounted on Factory Bumper

Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple more pics out of the garage and in more natural surroundings.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just checked and the factory bumper(metal part) really seems weak. Do you think it will hold and not bend or warp when winching some serious stucks?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rramsdell
I just checked and the factory bumper(metal part) really seems weak. Do you think it will hold and not bend or warp when winching some serious stucks?
I didn't mount it to that, I mounted the winch plate to both frame rails. It's not bolted or attached to that flimsy metal bumper piece in any way.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
I didn't mount it to that, I mounted the winch plate to both frame rails. It's not bolted or attached to that flimsy metal bumper piece in any way.
Sweet. So I take it that you believe it to be very solid which includes the winch plate?

I just ordered the 9500ti and will soon be doing this mod, thanks again.
(4wd has a great sale on them now)

Oh and were you able to pick up the winch plate at Harbor ? or did you have to order online? (NEVERMIND this, I see your original post mentions shipping costs)
Old 08-07-2007, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rramsdell
Sweet. So I take it that you believe it to be very solid which includes the winch plate?...
Yes, definitely. The winch plate is bolted to the frame with six 1/2" grade 8 bolts/nuts/washers (three per frame rail.)
Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any reason you went with the Superwinch?
I found a Warn 8000lbs winch for about $75 cheaper.
Just looking for opinions because the vendor was pushing me towards the Warn over the SuperW
Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

The SuperWinch is rated 1000lb more than the Warn, I like the looks of the SuperWinch better, and I've seen both used on the trail. The SuperWinches I've seen were as fast if not faster than the Warn 8000 unloaded and loaded, and the Superwinch pulls less of a load on the battery. Don't get me wrong, the Warn 8000 is a great winch. If you wanted to save some $$$ it would be fine. But then again, if I was going to save $$$ I would probably buy one of the Smittybilt 8000lb winches for $299 from 4wd.com.

Last edited by RedRockJK; 08-07-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

is it possible to do this by mounting it to the bottom of the frame rails? that would drop the winch down lower like the bumpers being released for the jk with the resecessed winch mounting... not sure if that would put it too low to line up with the front of the bumper was just thinking? or is this not possible?

i love the way that looks at least its recessed a bit the way you have it. just wondering if its possible to have the bulk of the winch in the bumper without having to install it upside down like the other mod i've seen here.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Well it might be possible if you don't have a Rubicon. I didn't look that hard because my sway bar disconnect motor would have been in the way.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
The SuperWinch is rated 1000lb more than the Warn, I like the looks of the SuperWinch better, and I've seen both used on the trail. The SuperWinches I've seen were as fast if not faster than the Warn 8000 unloaded and loaded, and the Superwinch pulls less of a load on the battery. Don't get me wrong, the Warn 8000 is a great winch. If you wanted to save some $$$ it would be fine. But then again, if I was going to save $$$ I would probably buy one of the Smittybilt 8000lb winches for $299 from 4wd.com.
Thanks for the reply. I completely agree about the looks of the winch. That's another reason I like yours. It really has a ballanced look. I'm even happier to hear the performance ranks up there with the looks.

I also agree about the Smittybilt but after talking with 4wd, they're on backorder until late Sept at the earliest.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Superwinch Epi9.0 mounted on Factory Bumper