Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate Cargo Solution...

Old 09-21-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tailgate Cargo Solution...

Hey fellas,

I don't like to ride with the spare tire on, in fact I sold it because in 20 years of driving I've gotten two flat tires and both happened in front of a gas station. Had a bunch of nails and small punctures over the years but nothing that couldn't be repaired for $15 at a tire shop. Don't think it's worth keeping the extra weight of a 35" tire on for the low probability of a fatal flat; regardless to say I ride spare-less like many on here.

I do need to find away to hold some extra cargo however. I was looking into a low profile cargo box that mounts directly onto the tailgate. About the size of two large travel suit cases would be ideal but I can't find anything like that (surprising with all the other parts they make for Jeeps).

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a receiver hitch cargo rack. I modified it to stick out past my spare tire (I always carry my spare). I can carry my 50 quart Brute ice chest and a smaller contractor tool box on it and all the other stuff inside the Jeep. I also modified the rack so I can lock the box and ice chest down so I don't have to remove them at motels and such. I have no photos now as I am working around Chicago and live south of Houston and none of my photos here show it.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen anything like this, but think it is a great idea. Some sort of basket or box that bolts to the tailgate where the factory tire carrier used to.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies fellas,

Yeah I've seen a bunch of hitch baskets but I'm not a big fan of those because (1) I'm looking for something enclosed and waterproof and (2) they stick out further than I would like. I also use my hitch for my bike rack a lot and wouldn't like swapping them out all the time especially if I had gear on it. I know they make cargo baskets with the hitch extension on the end but now you're talking about my bike rack sticking out way too far.

I've also seen a lot of hitch boxes but they're all too bulky and again mount to the hitch.

Imagine a sort of "back pack" for the tail gate is what I need. I thought about vertically installing a Thule roof basket, I would love the look and extra cargo room but that wouldn't work because they open to the side which would spill out all my gear.

Hmmm...

Quick Reply: Tailgate Cargo Solution...