Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate Rattle - Thinking about a Teraflex Tailgate Hinge

Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate Rattle - Thinking about a Teraflex Tailgate Hinge

I have a stock 2010 Rubicon with about 50,000 miles. Over the past few months it has developed a pretty bad tailgate rattle. I tried adjusting the striker and rubber "bumper" with no success. So I've narrowed it down to the tailgate hinges causing the rattle.

I searched through numerous threads on this topic and it seems like a good solution would be the Teraflex tailgate hinge. My only concern is the steep price. Here are my questions:

1) I plan on sticking with the stock Rubicon wheels and BFG tires. Is the Teraflex hinge a good solution in that case, or is it overkill?

2) Should I just install new factory tailgate hinges instead? This would be considerable cheaper than the TF option, but I'm guessing it's only a temporary fix.

3) I'd like to keep as stock a look as possible. Any other ideas which would address the tailgate rattle while maintaining a stock look?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm debating the same thing, use the tf or mount an aev tire mount. The teraflex is an awesome product worth every penny. As a bonus its much easier to install. I'm leaning toward the tf.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.oesales.com/JK%20GREASE-A...GATE%20PIN.htm

I installed these on my 08 after a bad rattle.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Those hinge pins look interesting. Did they eliminate the rattle?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

What size and weight tire are you running ? You may need a stronger tire carrier .I recently installed a teraflex hinge and the tire carrier .The hinge part was super nice but I think the actual tire carrier looks like a stamped Chinese piece of shit .Not impressed at all . I plan on reengineering it soon .The way the tire mount piece clamps to the carrier with 2 bolts is pretty lame and they bend the clamping tabs.

Just my opinion .YMMV
Old 02-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go with the TF carrier or something similar that supports the weight of the tire. Even using the tailgate pins, the inner tailgate welds will eventually start pulling apart.

Give me a shout any time with questions or for forum pricing..
Old 02-27-2014, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Teraflex and Rockridge Flush LED lights

I just finished installing a TF carrier. It was super simple. Hardest thing to do was swing it open a little after taking out of box to start the installation. I put it on first then my Flush mount LED tail lights. I powder coated the carrier the body color and the plates on the taillights. Turned out great. The two jobs together took me about 5 hours with some interruptions and dinner break.Tire sits higher, feels stiff at first to open close just cause teflon hinges are new. I did the adjustable tire mount too along with the hi lift accessory. The TF carrier took about 45 minutes with air tools. Use the styrofoam in the box for your spacers during install. I learned that from u tube video of a guy who video he install. There is other little tricks I learned from u tube videos and researching on here and other sites. Like painting behind the stock hinge bracket before putting in the new one. Can you believe JEEP installed a hinge covers on the line then painted over so there is no,ZERO, PROTECTION. U can buy the matching paint by mopar for your year and color.

Originally Posted by Kojack
I'm debating the same thing, use the tf or mount an aev tire mount. The teraflex is an awesome product worth every penny. As a bonus its much easier to install. I'm leaning toward the tf.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just finished my Teraflex and Taillights

Click image for larger version

Name:	Teraflex8.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	534086Click image for larger version

Name:	Teraflex5.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	534087

Just finished installing mine after getting it powder coated.

Originally Posted by daedalus
I have a stock 2010 Rubicon with about 50,000 miles. Over the past few months it has developed a pretty bad tailgate rattle. I tried adjusting the striker and rubber "bumper" with no success. So I've narrowed it down to the tailgate hinges causing the rattle.

I searched through numerous threads on this topic and it seems like a good solution would be the Teraflex tailgate hinge. My only concern is the steep price. Here are my questions:

1) I plan on sticking with the stock Rubicon wheels and BFG tires. Is the Teraflex hinge a good solution in that case, or is it overkill?

2) Should I just install new factory tailgate hinges instead? This would be considerable cheaper than the TF option, but I'm guessing it's only a temporary fix.

3) I'd like to keep as stock a look as possible. Any other ideas which would address the tailgate rattle while maintaining a stock look?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TF

the TF hinge is not cheap, and i was skeptical as well.

Worth. Every. Penny.

I have 35s on 16x10s, stock mount mounted to the TF hinge. On my black jeep, it looks factory.

the tire swings out and the tail gate opens in ONE motion.

I am happy w/the product. install was easy enough, you may want an assistant. it's a HEAVY chunk of metal, and you don't want to scratch that paint
Old 02-28-2014, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

I was going to do the teraflex hinge, but then I found a better alternative.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-184262780.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	534130  

Quick Reply: Tailgate Rattle - Thinking about a Teraflex Tailgate Hinge