Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TeraFlex 2.5 Coil Lift and Lower Control Arm?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TeraFlex 2.5 Coil Lift and Lower Control Arm?

I ordered my Teraflex 2.5 inch lift with shocks for my 08 JK Unlimited with heavy front bumper and wench. Does this lift need a Lower Conrol Arm?

thanks

Doug
Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

You don't have to install them. I've been running the 2.5" kit for a couple months without control arms.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

I've gone back and forth on this. Adjustable LCAs would let you add some caster back into the front end, but it's right on the edge whether or not it's needed for this lift. Especially with a heavy front bumper/winch -- my guess is you won't need them.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

On the other hand, I added in LCAs and a front adjustable trackbar to my 2.5 TF coil lift and even passengers say it rides better than stock. this is largely personal prefference. I am very happy with mine
Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RC2.5 coils up front with 1.75 inch spacer and RC 2.5 coils in rear with 1 inch spacer which is a 4 inch lift after bumper sag and I am running stock control arms excpet for rear uppers. It drives fine. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same lift on a 2011 Rubicon. I added a LOD front bumper and winch and needed a 1" spacer to level it out. Steering was a little flakey, running 35 MTR's. I added TF adjustable front control arms and she drives and handles much better. Well worth the investment. It is not a necessity, but sure drives better on the highway.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dougk
I ordered my Teraflex 2.5 inch lift with shocks for my 08 JK Unlimited with heavy front bumper and wench. Does this lift need a Lower Conrol Arm? ...
Put in the lift and take it for a drive. If you don't like the way the steering feels, consider adding some front adjustable LCAs so that you can dial in the caster. Whatever you do, if you take it in for an alignment and the shop offers to install cam bolts, politely refuse--they are problematic in a vehicle that is wheeled and have limited adjustment range (in fact, if the shop sets in the factory recommended caster, you will probably still experience flighty steering).
Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the feedback and insights.

After thinking about this based on the comments from the form members I decided to order the lower control arms. I did not want to have to deal with the flighty steering at high speeds.

This weekend I hope to replace the BB with the coil lift and add the LCA when they arrive later in the week.

Doug
Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a 2.5" Teraflex coil lift on my 2011, along with a winch and front bumper. Total lift acheived was 2.5". With stock control arms my castor was 2.7 degrees on one side, and 2.8 degrees on the other side. The Jeep definitely had a case of the wanders with this set up. Adjustable lower control arms let me increase castor to pretty much any angle I wanted. I had castor set at 4.5 degrees on both sides, and driveability is night and day better than it was before. It feels like a different vehicle, it makes that much of a difference.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
... rear uppers would be recommended to ... correct the pinion angle on the rear.
Really not necessary on a six speed Unlimited with stock driveshaft.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex 2.5 Coil Lift and Lower Control Arm?