Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex 3" short arm vs Teraflex 3" long arm?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teraflex 3" short arm vs Teraflex 3" long arm?

Content deleted

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 03-16-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the 3" TF LA and I enjoy it. Due to the pivot point of the arms it is a smoother ride than the short arm. I also went with the LA because I would like to go the 4" lift later and all I have to purchase is coils now.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

On the Unlimiteds, there won't be as pronounced of a difference between SAs and LAs...

however with the above said, you just can't go wrong with LAs...their ride quality is simply outstanding, not to mention the added flexibility for the entire system if you want to go bigger later on.

On my TJ, I had a SA system and then switched to Tera's LA...NIGHT AND DAY difference...ride was better than stock...

Also consider this, is the price difference really that significant to make a difference? Although none of us are made of money, if you put away an extra buck here and then and buy the system that makes YOU happy in the long run, I think a $1000 bucks becomes pretty cheap over the total ownership of your jeep...

just my two cents...
Old 04-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
I'm searching for a 3" suspension lift for a 2 dr Rubicon, and will be running 35" tires. I want to use the Jeep for back country exploring, with a variety of uses, different terrains, and long distances covered each day, as opposed to just rock crawling. I want to have the best ride quality and the best handling I can get, so I will probably use the Elka shocks that Teraflex sells with which ever suspension lift I chose.

From what I can tell on Teraflex's web page, a JK 3" suspension system with full 8 flex arm system, and a forged front track bar will cost me $2228.98. A 3" TeraFlex Elite LCG Suspension System will cost me $2677.99. So there is only $400 difference between the two systems.

The advantage of the short arm system is that I could install it myself. The long arm system requires welding, so I would need help, or a shop to install it for me.

Now for my questions. How much difference is there going to be between these two suspension systems? Does the long arm kit have better handling or better ride quailty, either on road, or off road? If it is better, how much better is it? Does it have more suspension travel? Does it work better off road. And how much ground clearance do you lose with the long arms?

Thanks in advance.

MOPWR2U
If you get a chance, stop by TeraFlex in Murray. I have a 4" LA with ELKA's and SpeedBumps and am more than willing to take you for a ride. My Co-Worker has a 3" LA with the same setup. Give me a call!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Joe has worked on me to try the ELKAs and SpeedBumps, but I had just barely installed the OME LTs just weeks before. He is such a wiley temptor...

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
I think it would be worth it to take the Jeep to Teraflex and have them install the suspension. It would certainly be better than trying to go with one of our local shops.

Could Teraflex also install the 5.13 gears and front axle reinforcement kit?
TeraFlexPlus can do all that and more.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Junkie

I have the TF 4LCA, and my buddy has the TF 3inch Coil lift with OEM control arms.....so not quite what your are looking for a comparison...but I can tell you the ride is night and day......when he drove mine, he couldn't believe how smooth my JK was comared to his......I really noticed the difference in ride quality on and offroad.....the LCA lift are super smooth....so if you can wait and save, spend it on the LCA....you will be happy you did..I was

FYI, I am pretty sure you can use the TFLCA's with EVO's coilover system......I think COP has done a few rigs with this setup...

Good luck....go Longarm...might be over the top for what you need, but the handling and ride is worth it....
Old 06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is a great thread! I'm curious - what needs to be welded in a LA kit? (total lift newbie here).
Old 02-18-2017, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepingGreen
This is a great thread! I'm curious - what needs to be welded in a LA kit? (total lift newbie here).
As far as the Teraflex LA kit, you start with taking off all the control arms, disconnect the brake lines, drop the gas tank (The JKU gas tank is on the right hand side, in the way, not in the rear like a lot of jeeps), etc.

Next, you have to cut off the old control arm brackets because you are adding longer arms which places the new brackets further back. Then you will have to grind the area smooth for the new brackets.

After that, you weld on all the new brackets for the control arms. Put in the shocks and coils then put it back together with the new long arms. You will need to get it aligned when you are done (around $250 to do so).

This is the process in a nut shell. If you want to watch how it is done then go onto Teraflex's website and find the lift you want. They should have a link to several youtube videos that show the entire process.

Hope this helps give you an idea of how much work is needed.

I will actually be doing this in a few months. Ill post pictures and stuff when I do it.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

7 year old thread, I wonder if they are still waiting for an answer.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
7 year old thread, I wonder if they are still waiting for an answer.
Yeah, I noticed the date after i posted it. haha Maybe they still need help.

Quick Reply: Teraflex 3" short arm vs Teraflex 3" long arm?