Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex Big Brake kit versus Dynatrac Pro Grip brake kit

Old 07-29-2015, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
My questions is how can the Dynatrac provide better breaking when the Terflex kit comes with a larger Caliper with increased clamping force? I understand about leverage, but even if the Teraflex comes with a 1" smaller rotor, you would think the bigger caliper would compensate (Assuming equal pads).

I live in Irvine and the Chins are HORRIFIC drivers. I smacked a guy 2 weeks ago at around 5 mph because he decided to leave as soon as the light turned green and then apply his brakes for no appraent reason, defitniley could have used a brake upgrade, defintiley on my short list!
Teraflex makes two types of kits. A Big Rotor Kit and a Big Brake Kit. Only the Big Brake Kit comes with the bigger calipers
Old 07-29-2015, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Teraflex makes two types of kits. A Big Rotor Kit and a Big Brake Kit. Only the Big Brake Kit comes with the bigger calipers

I know, thats the kit I'm comparing to the Dynatrac big rotor kit. I have seen people say it brakes better than the Teraflex kit with smaller calipers?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
I know, thats the kit I'm comparing to the Dynatrac big rotor kit. I have seen people say it brakes better than the Teraflex kit with smaller calipers?

Agreed. I read that same BS over at WOL from Eddies minions but that's a whole 'nother story.

The Teraflex kit is very nice. I also like that you can buy the fronts and rears separately for those with limited budgets that can't or don't want to shell out all the $$$$ at once.

I think the Dynatrac is a full front and rear kit with a price to match.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TeraFlex front rotors in all off our kits are 13.3" and Dynatrac fronts are 13.50" (from their website). TeraFlex will have our new rear big brake kit out in about 2 weeks. Then consumers and web wheelers can do a better apples to apples comparison. Myself I would love to see a magazine or neutral 3rd party do a full comparison between the 2 kits.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
The TeraFlex front rotors in all off our kits are 13.3" and Dynatrac fronts are 13.50" (from their website). TeraFlex will have our new rear big brake kit out in about 2 weeks. Then consumers and web wheelers can do a better apples to apples comparison. Myself I would love to see a magazine or neutral 3rd party do a full comparison between the 2 kits.
I saw on your website a Rear performance rotor kit, is that not available yet? Also the rears of the Teraflex are 13.5 vs the 14.25 of the Dynatrac is that so it fits stock wheels. I know that the Dynatrac kit the minimum wheel inside diameter is 15.50” @ 0.75” from wheel mounting surface in the front. In the rear, you need 15.875” ID @ 1.25” from wheel mounting surface.

I like that the Dynatrac kit and now the Teraflex kit retains the factory calipers which eliminate the need to bleed the brakes by a special machine and also there is no mix matched pressures. They can also use stock brake pads which is nice since it seems my rears are already shot at just under 32,000 miles. The one downfall is the rotors are not off the shelf and you would need to buy them in advance.

The issue with larger calipers is that you need to match the flow and pressures or you may get a spongy pedal.

I will be interested to see how the new Teraflex rotor kits front and rear compare to the Dynatrac.

From a technical stand point it looks like the Dynatrac increased the rotor size more balanced with a little extra in the rear. Front 13.6% increase, Rear 14.5% increase. Which is a 0.9% difference front and rear from stock and the increase in the rear which will help with nose diving.
The Teraflex kit is Front 11.9% increase, Rear 10.8% increase. Which is a 1.1% difference front to rear from stock with more of an increase in the front resulting in more nose dive.

This is based on the brake pad sitting in the same location as stock for each system.

As far as pricing goes the Teraflex kit is about $700 for front and rear larger rotor kit, but no pads.
The Dynatrac front and rear kit is $995 and includes pads.
The pricing is better on the Teraflex as you can get a set of performance front and rear pads for way less than $300, but the rear rotors are smaller and I feel the Dynatrac kit is better balanced.

The other benefit to the teraflex kit as mentioned before is you can get the either the rears or the front depending on funds. At the current moment I need to replace my rear pads and wanted to upgrade my brakes when I did so, but I do not currently have $1000 to spend.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does running 35's on a JK require something like this? I haven't had any issues with the stock setup.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bethecook
Does running 35's on a JK require something like this? I haven't had any issues with the stock setup.
In my opinion yes! I run 35s and I had a hard time stopping. But I'm also fully armored.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting that Mopar chose to copy the Teraflex BBK in their own design, which uses the BR6 13 1/4" rotor and Ram 1500 dual piston calipers. This rather than release the BR6, which is essentially what Dynatrac copied for their fronts. Frankly ANY of these options will be better than the stock setup.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Scrambler1979
A vehicle's total braking torque is a result of Total Front Caliper Piston Area times Front Rotor Effective Radius times Front Lining Friction, PLUS Rear Caliper Piston Area times Rear Rotor Effective Radius times Rear Lining Friction.

You can trade off caliper piston area (keeping stock calipers) for larger rotor diameters and higher friction pads, and do it at both ends of the vehicle for a balanced and highly effective brake system.

Dynatrac's design chose to utilize the stock calipers and maximize the rotor sizes and maximize/optimize front and rear pad friction to deliver a balanced 4 corner brake kit that provides a significant increase in stopping power on flat ground, uphill, and downhill with no increase in nose dive. And also while keeping the cost reasonable and installation as simple as only a rotor and pad change.
Funny how you mention that Dynatrac's kit does this but you fail to mention the Teraflex kit does the same thing.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dynatrac Big Brake Kit

A vehicle's total braking torque is a result of Total Front Caliper Piston Area times Front Rotor Effective Radius times Front Lining Friction, PLUS Rear Caliper Piston Area times Rear Rotor Effective Radius times Rear Lining Friction.

You can trade off caliper piston area (keeping stock calipers) for larger rotor diameters and higher friction pads, and do it at both ends of the vehicle for a balanced and highly effective brake system.

Dynatrac's design chose to utilize the stock calipers and maximize the rotor sizes and maximize/optimize front and rear pad friction to deliver a balanced 4 corner brake kit that provides a significant increase in stopping power on flat ground, uphill, and downhill with no increase in nose dive. And also while keeping the cost reasonable and installation as simple as only a rotor and pad change.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Big Brake kit versus Dynatrac Pro Grip brake kit