Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex Big Brake kit versus Dynatrac Pro Grip brake kit

Old 11-09-2014, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Teraflex Big Brake kit versus Dynatrac Pro Grip brake kit

Can we get an honest comparison?

Obviously no one has tried the Pro Grip yet because as I understand it, it just got announced at SEMA.

There are some wonderful reviews on the Pro Grip on another forum, but frankly they are so biased, it's hard to get a real comparison. I know the Teraflex is a nice kit based on ACTUAL reviews and reports from members here and other clubs, but what's the real deal?

I guess the best we can hope for is a speculative comparison but I would really like to know other's thoughts. This is my next upgrade and I really only want it for highway/street purposes now that my daughter occasionally drives my JK.

I'm not interested in "better" pads or rotors for the stock setup. I'm only interested in bigger rotors and bigger/relocated calipers.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI TeraFlex will have our new rear big brake kit out by mid-March.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I think I know what Forum you're referring to, and based upon personal experience I'd ignore any "wonderful review" from that site.

What I saw of the Dynatrac kit is pretty much just a larger rotor and longer caliper support, retaining the stock caliper. This is the same approach Teraflex takes with their "Big Rotor Kit", which in turn is essentially the same as Jeep's own export-only BR6 13" heavy duty option. The Teraflex Big Brake Kit is a different design, using a dual piston caliper (some say same as Ram 1500), proprietary caliper support and 13.25" slotted or plain rotor. I have the BBK on my '09 JKUR, adapted to Spyntec hubs. It has been a great solution to the previously weak brakes on my JK. I also installed their master cylinder upgrade, which is just the later model unit.

I also helped a club member install all the axle side components of the export BR6 option. ( She figured out a way to get them piecemeal via US dealers.) In my test it was every bit as effective as the BBK, at about the same cost. Thus, I'd look favorably on a design that just increases braking power through leverage, that is, just a larger rotor. The BR6 does have a different caliper which works with the caliper support. However, it has the same size piston. We think there's possibly a different pad material as well.

So, after all that we'll just have to see what Dynatrac eventualy puts out on the market. If you don't want to wait get one of the Teraflex kits and be happy.

Last edited by SoK66; 11-10-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What would be the outcome if one were to just do the TF big rotor kit (with stock calipers) and the TF bigger master cylinder? Would the new MC make a difference if you are still just using stock calipers?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
What would be the outcome if one were to just do the TF big rotor kit (with stock calipers) and the TF bigger master cylinder? Would the new MC make a difference if you are still just using stock calipers?
I have seen anyone try that combo yet that I know of. I would be afraid that if you ran that combo and found that you needed the dual calipers that it will cost you more in the long run.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
FYI TeraFlex will have our new rear big brake kit out by mid-March.
That's great timing for me.

I usually put my top and doors back on by now but this year I decided to leave my JK naked all winter and in the garage. I did this because I know my daughter loves the Jeep and would be asking to drive it if the top and doors were on. By March she will have 6 months with her license and I will feel more comfortable letting her drive it. Especially with upgraded brakes.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another option to consider might be the Black Magic big brake kit for the Jk. I've heard that kit is great too.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TJM12
another option to consider might be the Black Magic big brake kit for the Jk. I've heard that kit is great too.

Thanks for the tip. I checked them out but they are $1,250 just for the fronts and master cylinder. Price is in line with others I guess but damn this upgrade is $$$$.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Thanks for the tip. I checked them out but they are $1,250 just for the fronts and master cylinder. Price is in line with others I guess but damn this upgrade is $$$$.
My thoughts exactly. For just front brakes 1250 is nuts.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, it's alot.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Big Brake kit versus Dynatrac Pro Grip brake kit