Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex Big Brake kit versus Dynatrac Pro Grip brake kit

Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
FYI TeraFlex will have our new rear big brake kit out by mid-March.
Can this be added easily for those who already have front kit + big master cylinder? Will it cost more than waiting to buy all for wheels plus master cylinder in one shot?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also Teraflex what is your opinion on slotted vs standard rotors? I see you offer both and you will get a million opinions on do it/don't do it for off road/mud use. I figure you offer slotted for a reason but wanted to confirm they are still recommended in mud/rocky conditions. Thx.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed!

I am gonna time how long it will take for someone to do a real life test after all options are out.

Very nice idea OP!
Old 01-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sazerac_TX
Also Teraflex what is your opinion on slotted vs standard rotors? I see you offer both and you will get a million opinions on do it/don't do it for off road/mud use. I figure you offer slotted for a reason but wanted to confirm they are still recommended in mud/rocky conditions. Thx.
Honestly for the most part the solid rotors is probably all that most JK'ers really need for playing on the rocks. Now if someone has a heavy JK (HEMI, towing a trailer, loaded with kitchen sink) then I would consider the slotted version. There's only about $25 in retail cost difference with the slotted vs non slotted kits, but the slotted do look so much cooler.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been running the Teraflex BBK with slotted rotors for a while now and couldn't be happier. I am looking forward to getting the rear kit when it is released. The only reason I got the slotted was because it was just a little more than then non slotted and they cooler like Teraflex said. I did try and use the stock master cylinder at first and I didn't like the feel of the pedal, it was very mushy even though I have a 2010. The new master cylinder has a much better feel to it.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too run the Teraflex BBK (larger Calipers). I have a 2012 and run the stock Master Cylinder. I do not have the mushiness of the pedal because I bled the system very well, including the ABS system. When changing out the calipers, air enters the ABS system. The key is to actuate the system by braking on loose gravel several times. this will move the air out and then it can be bled conventionally.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
FYI TeraFlex will have our new rear big brake kit out by mid-March.
Hi Teraflex, any word on release? Also, will you also be releasing the budget rear version like you did with the fronts that reuse the stock caliper as well?

Tanks!
Old 04-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If someone is interested in the Dynatrac ProGrip brake kit here is some info for you to consider.

The engineering on the Dynatrac kit was very extensive. This included lots of dyno testing of multiple friction material options (front and rear) to narrow down to the very best candidates. The best friction materials were tested on an instrumented vehicle (4" lifted JK with 37" tires). Hundreds of laps were executed, to be certain of our results.

The ProGrip kit has the largest diameter front rotor available.

The caliper brackets are designed to eliminate bracket stretch, and maintain pad surfaces in firm contact with rotor surfaces better than stock or other brackets.

We are very confident in the 30% improvement of the all-4-wheel braking capacity the Dynatrac kit provides. We did do side by side tests of identical vehicles with competitors kits. The Dynatrac ProGrip kit stops quicker, and with better pedal feel. The Dynatrac kit simply stops the vehicle flat, firm and fast. Comparative testing with other front-only kits created considerable nose dive. The front wheel only kits also caused a surprisingly high amount of momentary front wheel lockup until the ABS kicked in to modulate the front braking. The Dynatrac kit behaved as expected with the ABS system without such lockup.

The front and rear brake improvement is also significantly better when a failed ascent of hill requires holding the car in place. The Dynatrac kit will assist the driver better to recover and maintain control as you back down the hill. It also holds the car much easier and with much less pedal effort when heading down steep grades.

The Dynatrac ProGrip kit is the best balanced braking solution available for a modified JK. The selection of our friction material and rotor design gives Dynatrac a significant edge in performance.

The Dynatrac ProGrip kit is also by far the easiest to install, and requires NO changes to the hydraulic system including no bleeding of brakes. Full ABS pump bleeding on a JK requires a dealer scan tool.

ProGrip kits are in stock at many dealers, available on-line from Dynatrac direct, selling very well, and ready to ship out anytime.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dynatrac,

I'm shopping and looking hard at your brake kit. In a few years can the front and rear pads and rotors be ordered as seperate parts for maintenance? I haven't seen them listed anywhere except as a whole kit. On jk typically the factory rear brakes last half as long as the front I would like to make sure I can order seperate parts for maintenance as needed.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Dynatrac,

I'm shopping and looking hard at your brake kit. In a few years can the front and rear pads and rotors be ordered as seperate parts for maintenance? I haven't seen them listed anywhere except as a whole kit. On jk typically the factory rear brakes last half as long as the front I would like to make sure I can order seperate parts for maintenance as needed.
That's a great point and would like to know as well

Quick Reply: Teraflex Big Brake kit versus Dynatrac Pro Grip brake kit