Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 09-24-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Our Hinged Tire Carrier isn't relying upon the tailgate for carrying any of the weight. Plus it's tied into the tire carrier mount directly to carry the load. So basically you could just install both the HD hinge portion with the Tire Carrier and not need the tailgate itself to carry the tire. Short of not having a latch this would work. Unlike the OEM setup, the tailgate is needed to connect all 3 items( Tailgate, Hinges,Tire Carrier) together.

With a 35" tire you can run it either way. Yes you can use the factor bracket with the HD Hinge (#4838100). But that will not allow you to pull the spare in against the tailgate, so it will act as leverage against the stock carrier. So if you just use the Adjustable Mount (#4838130) you can pull the spare in nice and snug. Then your relying upon the stock hinges and the tailgate to carry the load.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any more questions.

Joe
yes, instead of the tailgate carrying the weight of the tire, the TF bracket carries the weight of the tailgate. its awesome and much cheaper than buying a quality bumper and carrier.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by genrec
If I plan on running a 35" tire with this, how exactly or what are my options for keeping my 3rd brake light. With a 35 can it be seen as is, or do I need something else to extend , if so what? what brand? or are people going aftermarket, If, so what is bulletproof and popular for mounting?
I use the Teraflex tire carrier with Dick Cepek 35" tires. The third brake light can be seen in the factory location, and there is no need to look for an aftermarket solution for the brake light if you are using 35s or smaller tires.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sjmurray
I use the Teraflex tire carrier with Dick Cepek 35" tires. The third brake light can be seen in the factory location, and there is no need to look for an aftermarket solution for the brake light if you are using 35s or smaller tires.
Thanks man..
Old 10-04-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2014 JKU Rubicon and I'm buying the Teraflex carrier part# 4838150. I'll be running stock Rubicon wheels with 315 70 r17 GY Duratracs. I know I'll need the wheel spacer part# 1055005. With this combination I can still use the 3rd break light adapter that comes with the kit, correct? Can I use the adjustable adapter that's available? If yes which one? Part# 4997210 or 4997220? I'm not a big fan of the adapter that comes with the kit so I'm looking for options. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I keep mulling over the idea of buying a TF tire carrier. Currently running 35" Duratracs on the stock carrier. While I've read through most of the messages in this thread (and others), I haven't seen any photos of actual damage to the tailgate from carrying 35" or larger on a stock carrier? No doubt I've missed them somewhere but my searching has proven fruitless so far. Could someone point me to some photos?

While it's evident that the TF carrier creates a strong mechanical connection to the right side of the rear hatch (will hold the tire without the door, etc.), I cannot sort out why the stock carrier is weak when the hatch is closed (both left and right sides are mechanically connected to the frame)? Obviously when the hatch is swung open the hatch and stock hinges are at risk for being damaged by the excess weight, but wouldn't the strength in the system be present when the stock hatch door is closed?

Just trying to sort it out before sending TF my hard earned cash.

TIA for any replies.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I think it is the damage you can not see that is the issue. it pulls the spot welds apart inside the tailgate when running a heavy tire/rim combo then you get the rattle trap effect..
Old 01-08-2015, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
I keep mulling over the idea of buying a TF tire carrier. Currently running 35" Duratracs on the stock carrier. While I've read through most of the messages in this thread (and others), I haven't seen any photos of actual damage to the tailgate from carrying 35" or larger on a stock carrier? No doubt I've missed them somewhere but my searching has proven fruitless so far. Could someone point me to some photos?

While it's evident that the TF carrier creates a strong mechanical connection to the right side of the rear hatch (will hold the tire without the door, etc.), I cannot sort out why the stock carrier is weak when the hatch is closed (both left and right sides are mechanically connected to the frame)? Obviously when the hatch is swung open the hatch and stock hinges are at risk for being damaged by the excess weight, but wouldn't the strength in the system be present when the stock hatch door is closed?

Just trying to sort it out before sending TF my hard earned cash.

TIA for any replies.
Here you go: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...lgates-120780/
Old 01-08-2015, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Whoa, now I'll have to go have a look at my tailgate. Tnx
Old 01-09-2015, 05:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by genrec
Question for the owners of this carrier. Any rust issues? How does the powdercoat hold up? How about the bolts or hardware, do they have rust, or they all quality materials? Any trick s to prevent any of my mentioned issues if you have them. -Thx
very pleased with this product still. very high quality. no rust. check out my pics of install. I added rubber caps on unused holes for clean look (and keeps water out).
Old 01-09-2015, 06:06 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I think it is the damage you can not see that is the issue. it pulls the spot welds apart inside the tailgate when running a heavy tire/rim combo then you get the rattle trap effect..
Correct.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?