Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex Tire Carrier?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teraflex Tire Carrier?

I am putting 35s on next week. I have been looking at the TF carrier and mount. I have read about it and watched the video. I still don't understand how it is better than stock. How can a hinge mount hold more weight when it uses the same mounting points? Is the actual tire carrier something needed? What weight can the stock tire carrier hold? Interested to hear your opinion.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you've seen this video, but it explains how the mounting points work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVB7NGY0PMc
Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Think of it like this. The carrier is attached to the jeep and the tire is attached to the carrier and the door is attached to the other side of the carrier. You really don't need the door any more. Make sense?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mounting points on the body are very stout and with the new teraflex hinge bolted to it, the carrier is capable of carrying a 37" tire without any problems. My buddy has the new hinge and the factory tire carrier with 37/13.50/17 toyo open country's on Walker Evan wheels and hasn't had a problem yet, he has been running it like this since they first came out. And he has been to the Rubicon,Moab and he is going to koh this weekend. I'm gonna purchase one now cuz I kno what its capable of. Very awesome carrier
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bob-o
The mounting points on the body are very stout and with the new teraflex hinge bolted to it, the carrier is capable of carrying a 37" tire without any problems. My buddy has the new hinge and the factory tire carrier with 37/13.50/17 toyo open country's on Walker Evan wheels and hasn't had a problem yet, he has been running it like this since they first came out. And he has been to the Rubicon,Moab and he is going to koh this weekend. I'm gonna purchase one now cuz I kno what its capable of. Very awesome carrier
No more evo one?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been wondering about this as well. I know that in the TF video, it is mentioned that the hinge points were strengthened?

Regardless, it seems to me that everything is now supported by those hinge points and this just adds more weight to those points?

It's an improvement for the stability of where the tire rests because the tire does not hang off the rear door, but it focuses all the energy on those hinge points instead right?

I guess the physics is escaping me!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

The stock setup on the jeep is this: The tire mounts to the tailgate. The tailgate mounts to the hinges. The hinges mount to the body. This is why using a heavier tire can damage the tailgate, the structure of the actual gate is not sufficient to carry extra weight. The TF hinge takes the tailgate out of the equation. The revised setup is: Tire mounts to TF hinge, TF hinge mounts to the body. TF found the hinge mounts on the body to be adequate to carry a heavier tire, and there is no additional reinforcement in the kit. So what you end up with is beefy body-side hinge mount points (existing), a beefy hinge (new), and a tire hanging from the hinge on one side and the tailgate hanging from the other side.

On top of that, you are replacing the two stock hinges with one single piece. This eliminates the rotation allowed by the tailgate between the hinges. TF has essentially built a cantilevered truss to hang your tire and gate on. I just got my 35s on and with the new tire (~90 lbs) and me being a dork (160 lbs), I've hung 250 lbs on this hinge without any complaints from the jeep. For me, for weight and simplicity, it doesn't get any better than this hinge to hang a tire on the rear end of a jeep.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO

No more evo one?
Well I really want the EVO carrier but the carrier and the rock corners weigh about 170lbs. I'm still debating tho. I'm definitely going to get some rock corners but I feel kinda guilty cuz I just scored on a set of poisonspyder rock skins so I will feel bad when I drop my jeep of at EVO with those skins on lol. And the tf hinge is half price of the EVO carrier cuz u can use the factory carrier with it

Last edited by bob-o; 10-09-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

The problem with the OE set up is not where the hinge mounts to the corner/body. Many companies including Evo use that area for their tire carriers. that area is reenforced.

The problem is on the door. The welds get pulled away under the weight of a heavier wheel/tire.

Now with the TF hinge. the weight is carried soley by the hinge, not by the door. If i unbolt the door and add a nut to hold the tire carrier to the hinge it would be able to hold the tire by itself. Instead of the door carrying the weight, it now adds more strength to the hinge and a way for the tire carrier to stay in the closed position.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely looks like a well designed product! And I like the fact it fits the original Jeep form versus looking like all the other carriers with a pivot point.

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier?