Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINGS TO KNOW WHEN GETTING 35s

Old 10-12-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

35's IMO are the sweet spot for a JKU in terms of looks and performance on simple trails and fire roads. If performace is an issue then be prepared for a gear swap which will cost in most places $1,200 and up.
Read the stickies and use the search function as there are tons of threads out there on wheels and tires.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What transmission are you running, and I believe you said you have an 08? Like everyone else said, with the 08 you WILL need to re-gear. I'm on my second build and I'm fortunate enough that the Pentastar helps a little with the power loss. Even with the new engine I'm still going to re-gear it just makes the time until then a little more tolerable. If you want to run 35's than run 35's, do what makes YOU happy, its YOUR Jeep. I have run the 16 x 35 combo for the last 10 years or so and love it, so do what you would like to. I would upgrade your front shaft though, learned that lesson the hard way, however the 1310 shafts I've found have more than met my needs and I have had 0 issues with them. To answer your question about mileage, with the procal I lost 2mpg give or take ( depends on how my foot is feeling that day )....at the end of the day do what would make YOU happy and don't be yet another victim of " I bought 33s and now I really wish I bought 35s". Not saying that to slight anyone running 33s...I was just one of those people as soon as I got 33's on there I immediately wanted the 35s. Good luck, post pics as it all comes together!
Old 10-12-2014, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a programmer to adjust your speedo and shift points back to where they should be. That's first.

Then, if you feel like you just can't handle the effects of the large tires with respect to gear ratios, change them to something like a 4.10 or 4.56. And re use the programmer to help there too.

The programmer is a great thing to have.

Keep in mind that the lift and tires will have a pretty big impact on gas mileage. But, it's not like the Jeep is great at sippin fuel. Haha.

Other big thing? Tire carrier for the spare? Your gonna need something different. The stock carrier can hold a stock wheel and tire. That's it.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's definitely a lot of good advice being given to you. However, as was also stated; take the time to figure out what you want to do with your jeep and build to that. You can always change your mind late and go different direction with it. I run 35's with a 4" Lift and love it. I have 4:88's and they do just fine in SE Ohio.
Good luck with your build and keep us up to date with photo's.
John
Old 10-13-2014, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all !
Old 10-13-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Lol, I bet you're more confused now than when you started...
Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Lol, I bet you're more confused now than when you started...
It's a lot to take in. Hahah. It helps though, probably will be heading over with 33s because of my budget.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this will help. This is my 35" with no lift. After driving it for about a week this way, just out of curiosity, clearance needed to be in place. I did the lift. I understand some get away with fender mods, or they just never go off road.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1349833039.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	579859  
Old 10-14-2014, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KVJK08
It's a lot to take in. Hahah. It helps though, probably will be heading over with 33s because of my budget.
I have had my jeep for about 4 months now, its an 08 2door, I went to 33's with in the first week and with in a month or so I was wishing I had gone to 35's. Luckily for me I found some one that was the opposite of me and wanted 33's so I traded him plus a little cash. I desperately needed to regear with the 35's, which I was planning on anyway luckily. I went with 5.13's (another place I got lucky but that's another story) and I think they are just about perfect, I drive on the highway about 35 miles one way to work everyday and get better mileage than I did with the 33's and factory 3.73 gears. What im getting at is I highly recommend 35's and 5.13's over 33's and stock gearing especially if you have 3.21's.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Maybe this will help. This is my 35" with no lift. After driving it for about a week this way, just out of curiosity, clearance needed to be in place. I did the lift. I understand some get away with fender mods, or they just never go off road.

I love the look ! Haha. More of a reason I want 35s. How much did the process of getting 35s cost you?

Quick Reply: THINGS TO KNOW WHEN GETTING 35s