Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of going with Rancho XL9000's Shocks

Old 06-20-2014, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of going with Rancho XL9000's Shocks

I have a 2007 4dr JK Unlimited X and I currently have the rubicon tires and shocks on it. I hate, yes hate the way it rides. I just replaced the 2 front tires because they got cupped out... Mechanics theory - the rubicon shocks are too stiff and thats no letting the tires drop down to the dips in the road and trust me, LA has nothing but constant dips in the road. Crap roads are the norm here everywhere. He also said that my Jeep isn't heavy enough and that could be the reason the rubi shocks are so stiff. doesn't make sense because I have the heavy ruby tires. I don't have the heavy front dana axle like the rubi but that shouldn't be a huge difference.

I don't do any off roading anymore, so I'm looking for the best shock that is going to make me ride the smoothest on the roads.

I like the adjustability of the rancho XL9000's and I'd like some advice and reviews of your real life experience with the ranchos and other shocks.

I drive an hour to and from work and I love my Jeep but I'm kinda over riding a mechanical bull everyday.

Be well and thanks for looking.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

anybody?
Old 06-21-2014, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

I had the XL9000s on a 2008 2 door hardtop. I rode around on them for about 12 months. They are not bad for the price but I had the Wireless adjust, although the concept is great, they always had leaks, etc and the air comp for them broke like 5 months in. I replaced them with Fox adjustable external reservoir shocks and have even swapped them to my 14' Unlimited I just purchased. They are well worth the extra money. Just my opinion.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the 9000xl's for over a year and they have performed great for me. I have them set on 5 for daily driving and I have a nice smooth ride. Keep in mind though, I have to run 30 - 32psi in my 35's in order to maintain that smooth ride. You would be amazed what proper psi and regular rotation will do for ride quality and tire life.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

I ran the XL9000s for six years and loved them, especially being able to adjust them for when I'm loaded heavy for a few days on the trail. I smashed one of them on the trail a few months back and I let my shop convince to give something else a try (because they didn't carry Ranchos). The new ones are fine but I honestly prefer the street ride of the Ranchos. Like Wrangler428, I keep my tires at 30psi on the highway but they are big heavy off road tires. After changing your shocks you might want to try chalking your tires to see what psi is best for pavement. I'm sure there are a few threads here that explain how to do it.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

So would everybody agree besides from the quality issues that they are the best for street smoothness?
Old 06-21-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't say their the absolute best, but they are a great shock for the money. I threw a set on maybe 150 miles back, and I love them so far. I've played with the settings a bit and I've found a 2 in the rear and a 3 up front works best on my application. I have a very light 2 door so I needed a low pressure shock and the length options fit my rig perfectly.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Love mine! Ride is awesome and they look good. I like the beefier look than the monotubes. Adjustable knob makes it easy to change the ride. Do it!!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok im sold but the price is still kinda up there. for $400 these things better be gold.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
Ok im sold but the price is still kinda up there. for $400 these things better be gold.
Mine were like $355 plus had a mail in rebate worth another $100. You can't beat these at 255

Quick Reply: Thinking of going with Rancho XL9000's Shocks