Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those running MTZs

Old 03-04-2014, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default those running MTZs

Thinking of 35x12.5r17 MTZs on MT Classic IIIs for my 2014 auto 3.73s. I have searched and believe based on posts that people think they are a good tire. I am mainly interested in wear. What are you getting out of them (some said they burned off in real little time but I suspect that there were issues involved there other than the tire).

I would also like input from people in similar environments: North TX. Someon in MN might have too many variables that impact things.

Also wondering if those with them can give me range of mpg for similar set up (3.6/auto/3.73/planning the Superchips Flashpaq).

Please no other recommendations for tires. I have run KM2s on my truck but I dont think they are worth the nearly $75 more apiece difference they are right now.

Still debating MTR-Ks but the people complaining about balancing issues concerns me. I am not buying Nittos or Toyos (nuff said).
Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in the DC area, so a very different climate. That being said I put over 50k on my last set
Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 37 " MTZ. They have been on for 10k miles now. They are holding up great and were noticeably more effective off road than my km2. The only negative I have on them are the size. About 36 3/8" on the jeep when new. They are actually pretty quiet too. For on road, nothing beats the km2. They are smith, quiet, and last forever. But they are small.

sent from my work leash
Old 03-05-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mattgt5
I run 37 " MTZ. They have been on for 10k miles now. They are holding up great and were noticeably more effective off road than my km2. The only negative I have on them are the size. About 36 3/8" on the jeep when new. They are actually pretty quiet too. For on road, nothing beats the km2. They are smith, quiet, and last forever. But they are small.

sent from my work leash
I have heard that KM2s run small which is an issue when considering they are $$ more than the MTZs or MTR-Ks. You seem to imply that the 37 MTZs are running small (slightly)...little more than 1/2" based on MTs website which says 36.9" on a 10" wheel. Could that just be the dif between the unloaded measurement and the actual with weight on it?

I am considering Pro-Comp Rockwell 5034 wheels wich are 17x8.5 which is the min recommended width for the 35x12.5 MTZs so that will bulge their height just a tick. But I wonder about wear (being able to get a flat tread contact surface)

Quick Reply: those running MTZs