Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? For those using OR-Fab Carrier

Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh sorry didn't read it thru all the way. so the bumpstop that they are talking about is when they brake and the jeep comes to a complete stop, then the stress is being put on it? is that correct?

Originally Posted by GCM 2
What do you mean by keeping the stress off the tailgate? That's the beauty of the OR Fab design, there is no stress on the tailgate what so ever. All the weight is dispersed thru the body and brackets provided. The pressure on the tailgate that forum members are writing about, is the inward pressure or pushing of the carrier stop into one very small area in the lower left portion of the tailgate. Nothing is actually hanging on the tailgate itself.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just sanded or grinded the bump stop flat and have no problem with pressure on the lower part of the tail gate when closed. I did however have to grind it down to the extreme. Seems to be an issue that should be fixed. The bump stop just seems to be to thick for the area between the tire carrier and the tailgate.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn
does ne one happen to have a write up of their installation of both the or fab carrier and whatever else they are using to keep the stress off of the tail gate. this carrier is one of the top ones on my list just because it's an easier solution of a tire carrier with/o the carrier/bumper combo. thanks guys
Hey Josh,

Hope this video helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A9arKi45AM Yates
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok this is what I have come up with. I am going to use a M16 Flat washer. The convex end of the bumpstop should fit right into the center of the washer but apply the pressure more evenly throughout the washers surface area. I am going to paint the washer either black of Det Yellow and then clear it. Apply it to the tailgate with an adhesive/sealant like Locktite brand.. As soon as the rain goes away. hopefully by the middle of the week, and Yates how about some swag this way
Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by stevedolce
i picked up a "swivel eye bolt snap" attached by 8 inches of rope to the frame of the carrier..

http://XXX.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

i originally had the same concerns as deton8. i put alot of pressure of the latch which casued the tailgate to buckle. i extended the latch so that it needs a little pressure to latch(but counter pressure needed against teh tailgate) and i use the snap bolt as a safety.

i've had it on since april with a ton of highway miles and 3 or 4 rausch trips. it ain't going anywhere.

if you look close, you can see the hook hanging on the end.

hey yates--i love your stuff
I know this post is several years old, but can you tell me how much clearance there is between the mounted rotopax cans and the tail gate? I want to put this tire carrier on my JKU but I'll need at least 3/4" for my antenna mounts.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run their can version and have a couple inches, I imagine it's similar as 2 rotopax are about the same as 1 can. Educated guess.

Quick Reply: ? For those using OR-Fab Carrier