Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjeep
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_3-seriesII.html

It might be true that you can't compare this kit to a $1500. But, if you are in the $500 range, I don't believe anything compares. We designed this kit from the ground up for ride quality & handling & giving the consumer the best kit possible for $499.

This kit is the first with our new N2.0 shocks and includes 2 front lower arms with OEM style rubber bushings.

My concerns. I love the kit. Its priced right and is very tempting but i have some concerns with it. First is with the brake line extension brackets. I know brake lines are more expensive than brackets but if someone is using quick disconnects, will there be a problem with the brakelines when in full articulation? My second concern is with the track bar brackets. I've heard that doing brackets is a bad thing. It causes them to break off and such. Have you had any problems or concerns with this. My last question is about the lower control arms. What was the reasoning for doing front lower control arms but no rear lower control arms?

I'm not trying to call you out or be ignorant with this post. I'm just new and I'm looking for a new lift. I have your 2.5" series II budget boost still in boxes and now want to go to a 3.5" kit. I am looking at a few kits. I was looking at the Full Traction 3", Rock Krawler 3.5" and Tereflex 3". Now this kit comes into play. Plus it is alot less. I do not do alot of wheeling and maybe in the future will do some mild trails. I'm just getting into this and i won't be doing any hard core rocks probably just some mild trails.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by kabookie10
My concerns. I love the kit. Its priced right and is very tempting but i have some concerns with it. First is with the brake line extension brackets. I know brake lines are more expensive than brackets but if someone is using quick disconnects, will there be a problem with the brakelines when in full articulation? My second concern is with the track bar brackets. I've heard that doing brackets is a bad thing. It causes them to break off and such. Have you had any problems or concerns with this. My last question is about the lower control arms. What was the reasoning for doing front lower control arms but no rear lower control arms?

I'm not trying to call you out or be ignorant with this post. I'm just new and I'm looking for a new lift. I have your 2.5" series II budget boost still in boxes and now want to go to a 3.5" kit. I am looking at a few kits. I was looking at the Full Traction 3", Rock Krawler 3.5" and Tereflex 3". Now this kit comes into play. Plus it is alot less. I do not do alot of wheeling and maybe in the future will do some mild trails. I'm just getting into this and i won't be doing any hard core rocks probably just some mild trails.

I'll do my best to answer these questions.
will there be a problem with the brakelines when in full articulation? We have been extending the brakelines in our 4" kits for years. On the ramp they look fine.

My second concern is with the track bar brackets. I've heard that doing brackets is a bad thing. It causes them to break off and such. We went with a bracket / drop pitman arm setup on this kit. This setup is the best way to get the track-bar and steering geometry correct. We compared this setup to the adjustable track-bar setup and found that the bracket/pitman setup had better handling & less bump-steer. I know this comment will catch some negative comments, but it is true. We use similar brackets on TJ, JK, XJ and I am unaware of any bracket breaking off (Not saying it's not possible). If you do not like the bracket/pitman setup you can purchase an adj track-bar for $109.

What was the reasoning for doing front lower control arms but no rear lower control arms? We include 2 extended front lower arms. We did this to recenter the front axle and for alignment. Many don't like Cam bolts, so we went with arms instead. These arms are beefier than OEM and include OEM style rubber bushings.
For anyone who wants some additional options; Adj. Arms, Track-bars, Swaybar discos, etc are available.

Last edited by rcjeep; 08-11-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for clearing that up. I have one more question. The lower control arms....are the made from a solid bar or dom tubing? Like I said I probably won't be doing any movable style offroading but some of the trails areound here could get somewhat difficult and I want to be able to not worry about a weak link in the suspension. Also do you reccommend new driveshafts? Plus I have a winch and winch bumper and it sits considerably lower in the front would a spacer on top of the coils and this suspension help level out my Jeep? Thanks for your input
Old 08-10-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the 3.25 lift from Rough Country and think it's done all they said it would. As for adjustable arms and stuff like that, I'm going to wait till I break or start doing more serious roading.

Your going to get a lot of opinions here. Some love the $1500 kits and never really use them for what they designed. But hey.....they look cool.
When I purchased my kit I did not know if I was going to love or hate off roading. I seem to be enjoying it. Now I am dumping all the money I can afford to into my JK.
Figure out what exactly your going to be doing with your JK. Lifts are lifts. At one point or another, they will all fail. One's you figure out this lift issue, enjoy whatever you buy. Either way the lift you buy will make your JK look sick.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great questions kabookie10! I'm torn between this and the Teraflex kits. Looking forward to the answers for you last couple questions there.

Also, I understand the benefit of adjustability, but as stated earlier, I don't really see the need unless you plan to alter the lift in the future and will need to readjust things like the trackbars etc. This is my first Jeep, but Ive had lifted pickups in the past, and those 6" kits aren't adjustable at all.

Last edited by JKMudder; 08-10-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to throw this into the mix, I've run brakeline ext on my 4in Superlift and now 4in Teraflex springs with 1in spacers with no issues when flexed or off-roading.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKMudder
Great questions kabookie10! I'm torn between this and the Teraflex kits. Looking forward to the answers for you last couple questions there.

Also, I understand the benefit of adjustability, but as stated earlier, I don't really see the need unless you plan to alter the lift in the future and will need to readjust things like the trackbars etc. This is my first Jeep, but Ive had lifted pickups in the past, and those 6" kits aren't adjustable at all.
Thanks, yes i ran a 6" lift on my old Ram i had and it was pretty complete I was happy with it. I know there are different opinions on whether you need all the high dollar stuff or not, but like i said i don't want to be out on the trail riding and wheelin to have a break line over extend and break, or have a lower control arm break or some part break because it had a bracket or was underdesigned. I always stand behind the saying "you get what you pay for". I'm not knocking RC by any means cause i do have their budget boost. I just want to make sure its going to hold up and not leave me stranded. I'd hate to pay 400-500 for a lift and then end up not liking it and going to a more expensive lift later on. I want to do it once. I think i'll probably wait and see some reviews on the kit before pulling the trigger.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the price tag of the RC lift you can use the money you save to add the beefier parts your looking for. It gives the buyer the option to pick and choose extra parts whereas when you pay 1500 your stuck with the parts that are provided and have no additional money to change them. I know that when you spend 1500 on a lift the parts should be substantially better but after reading some reviews on this website about those lifts it turns out they arent that great either.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

True, i think thats whats making it such a hard decision. I keep reading mixed reviews on everything. Some are good some are bad and it leaves me up in the air. I don't wanna spend 500-1500 on a suspension then have it break on me or something go wrong and then cost me 4grand. I know it can happen but i want to buy the best kit that will make those odds slim to none.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the price tag of the RC lift you can use the money you save to add the beefier parts your looking for. It gives the buyer the option to pick and choose extra parts whereas when you pay 1500 your stuck with the parts that are provided and have no additional money to change them. I know that when you spend 1500 on a lift the parts should be substantially better but after reading some reviews on this website about those lifts it turns out they arent that great either.
Care to elaborate on this?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.