Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone who does want more goodies. Like Adjustable Arms, Flex joints, SS brakelines, Adjustable Track-bar, Disconnects. We offer the X-series kits. ofr $1199.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4flex.html
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Care to elaborate on this?
Sure! There are many lifts on the market as we all know. But since we are talking about the RC 3.5 inch lets narrow it down to 3"-4" lifts. In previous posts on this thread there were comments about the RC lift being garbage because their are no adjustable lower control arms or track bars. My comment was if you purchase the RC lift for such a cheap price you can build on it at a later date. There were comments about doing it right the first time and going ahead and pulling the trigger to spend 1,500 dollars on a lift. My reply to that is there are plenty of lifts for 1500 dollars that do not come with adjustable lower control arms as well. My point being that just because you buy an expensive lift doesn't mean it's going to be exactley what the purchaser is looking for. Which brings me to my second point of each lift is purchased by the needs of the consumer. Whether it is because they don't need all the bells and whistles of a $1500 dollar lift, they do not do any heavy off roading, or they just don't have the income. I believe the RC lift is a great deal. Sure it doesn't have Adjustable lower control arms. I also believe the Rubicon Express 3.5 inch lift for $1,649 is a great lift, but it doesn't come with front lower adjustable control arms either.

I only commented on this because being very new to this not to long ago I RACKED my brain on what to do. As soon as I settled on something I would read another post and it would change my entire plan. I did this at least 5 times where I let everyones horror stories about their lifts scare me out of buying them. And by the end of the day it comes down to what your looking to do with your jeep and how much you have to spend. (And a personal thing for me is who has the best customer service).
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fair enough.

The only thing I would also add is that adjustable control arms are more important to somebody on road then offroad. We always have customers tell us that they dont need such and such becuase they are not rock crawlers . Proper Castor angle is more important going 70 MPH down the highway then it is crawling over rocks.

David
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Absolutley!!! great point!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Fair enough.

The only thing I would also add is that adjustable control arms are more important to somebody on road then offroad. We always have customers tell us that they dont need such and such becuase they are not rock crawlers . Proper Castor angle is more important going 70 MPH down the highway then it is crawling over rocks.

David
David,
The Ome lift comes with upper control arms. I read another thread where they swapt them out for lower arms??????????????????? Why?? Is there a benefit. My thought is that it would be easier to add lowers later. Is there a difference in handeling.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

David,
The Ome lift comes with upper control arms. I read another thread where they swapt them out for lower arms??????????????????? Why?? Is there a benefit. My thought is that it would be easier to add lowers later. Is there a difference in handeling.
The Front lowers and Front uppers Effectively do the same thing. But you shorten the uppers and Lengthen the lowers.

We offer the upgrade because some people dont want to have to mess with cutting the front upper bolt and the Front lowers are stronger than the Factory ones.

David
Old 08-11-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

The Front lowers and Front uppers Effectively do the same thing. But you shorten the uppers and Lengthen the lowers.

We offer the upgrade because some people dont want to have to mess with cutting the front upper bolt and the Front lowers are stronger than the Factory ones.

David
Cut off the upper bolt? Is that a must or just because it is hard to get off?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why would you need the adjustability? Thats what I dont understand. If the lift is designed to give you 3.5" of lift, gives you that amount and realigns components to factory specs via the included control arms and track bar brackets, what is the point of having the extra adjustability if you dont plan to alter the lift in the future?

rcjeep, as a 2 door owner, would I need to replace the front driveshaft with this kit or will it be fine w/ the stocker? Also, does this kit have progressive coils as the newer 2.5" kits do? I assume you guys learned your lesson from the sagging issues you had on the older 2.5" kits. Just wondered as I plan to run LoD bumpers front/rear and don't want to be sagging down to a 2" lift in a year.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default My question.

I have a question if i run the RC 3.5 inch like someone said eariler do i need to up grade my shafts and if so which ones are the best sorry not trying to hijack your thread.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Side note for rough country: Why not just offer the 3.5" kit with adjustable lower control arms and an adjustable front track bar for $699 or $749 and tell everybody to shut up?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.