Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Would like to thank everyone on this forum for the help. I plan on doing this lift in the short future. Only have one concern, eventual sag due to my winch and spare tire… I am also going to get the Control arm relocation kit. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Default a few questions

wow, just got done reading all 35 pages of this thread about this lift kit, and hundredsof others on the internet. so i went ahead and ordered mine, i just hope i'm not disappointed with it. i got the series ll 3.5", i also ordered an adjustable front trackbar and will be installing a teraflex rear trackbar bracket instead of the flimsy RC one. so let me be sure i understand about the front; if i do the adjustable trackbar, i do NOT do the trackbar relocation bracket OR the drop pitman arm? why would i not need the drop arm, it's not connected to the trackbar? just curious. also will i need a full alignment, ie: caster, camber, toe etc.? or just center the steering and go? for the record it's a 2012 cod/mw3. thanks for all the info.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump...^^^ I'm wondering about the drop pitman arm too.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtchief686
wow, just got done reading all 35 pages of this thread about this lift kit, and hundredsof others on the internet. so i went ahead and ordered mine, i just hope i'm not disappointed with it. i got the series ll 3.5", i also ordered an adjustable front trackbar and will be installing a teraflex rear trackbar bracket instead of the flimsy RC one. so let me be sure i understand about the front; if i do the adjustable trackbar, i do NOT do the trackbar relocation bracket OR the drop pitman arm? why would i not need the drop arm, it's not connected to the trackbar? just curious. also will i need a full alignment, ie: caster, camber, toe etc.? or just center the steering and go? for the record it's a 2012 cod/mw3. thanks for all the info.
A drop pitman arm puts added strain on the steering box. With a 3.5" lift or less you do not NEED to do any steering correction. Simply adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel.

With more than 3.5" of lift, the best way to address steering is to RAISE the axle side (not lower the frame side at the steering box). When you do that, you also need to raise the axle side of the track bar, as these need to be parallel to each other or you will get bump steer.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Ive had the RC3.5 for 2 years now... track bar relo bracket, longer control arms, drop pitman,... 15x10 steel wheels with 35x12.5. My regret is not going 37x14.5 and flat fenders. i guess i got about another year of tread left on these tires

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01449-20120526-1404.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	536817Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01450-20120526-1404.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	536818
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

I'm going to pull the trigger on this lift soon. Any RC reps still active in here?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:39 AM
JK Newbie

2014 Wrangler Sport 2 Door, 6 spd manual

ordered:
3.5 RC lift kit
315/70R17 duratrac
1.5 wheel spacers
Superchips 3570 FlashCal

I read all and like what i see, when the kit comes i will be installing as it came with no adj track bar and no adj LCA, crossing fingers that it will be a hassle free install and out of the box drives good with no issues, if i exprience DW, wondering steering or any else i will for sure post it up here and what i did to remedy the problem. also a picture of a before and after once i am done
Old 06-04-2014, 02:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rcjeep
HKx3,
We stand behind our products. I have examined all of your comments, and issues that you have posted.
Your issues / Our fix

dual stabilers hitting TB bracket - We have designed a axleside track-bar bracket which will eliminate the frameside/stabilzer contact issue. We will send you one.

Front end spring sag - This springs react to weight just like any other spring on the market. The weight from a heavy bumer, winch, steel cable etc. will make an effect. I would send you a heavier coil, but we don't have one. We do have 3/4" spacers and will sell you a discounted set, if you like.

Leaking shocks - We will replace any leaking shocks (and have replaced several for you) including a pair of front replacements. It appears these never made it onto the Jeep and rather ended up "for sale".
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Shocks-(front)

Question is... if you have leaking shocks and call for replacements, why are you selling them?
LOL
Old 08-29-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Had this lift installed for a couple of months. Have went offroad multiple times. Went with Forged adjustable track bar instead of track bar bracket and dropped Pitman arm. Rides and drives great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-16 11.39.55.jpg
Views:	1264
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	623062  
Old 06-23-2016, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

New to the forum. Just wanted to share some info on this lift for potential buyers. I have an automatic, 2008 JKUR. I bought this lift and had it and some 35" Maxxis Buckshot II tires installed a couple of weeks ago. I wheeled it this morning and completed the most difficult trails "Outdoors in the Smokies ORV" had to offer with relative ease.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Jeep after lift copy 2.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	650545

Pros:

-It performed great. It was difficult to find anything that I couldn't get over with ease. Never scraped the belly all day.
-Rides fine on the road. Drives down the interstate fine.
-Looks great. Stance is good even with winch and bumpers.

Cons:
-Ripped the boot off my front drive shaft on the trail. I noticed several people were worried about their front DS and this lift. Turns out, they should be.
-Stock fenders rub hard under full flex with 35s and 4.5 backspacing. Bumpstops included must not be long enough or I must have the wrong backspacing.
-TCS goes off around high-speed corners now and applies brakes and the "swerving car" lights up on the dash. Yes the steering wheel has been centered and alignment has been completed. Not sure if this is the lifts fault or just a jeep issue.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.