Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm...getting interesting....starting to sound like a catfight... all I am looking for are some decent lower front and rear CA's that don't cost a small fortune, Thanks David for clearing up the issue of only needing the lower or upper CA's instead of both upper and lower.Makes more sense to me now.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything more then 3+" plan on getting a new shaft. Cutting the bolt for the upper control arms is the only way you can get it out, I think. The ability to adjust, who needs it when you can take a corner without using your hands!????????
Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07BLUEJK
Cut off the upper bolt? Is that a must or just because it is hard to get off?
If I remember correctly, you must cut it off unless you want to remove your exhaust just to get a bolt out. I would just cut the frigging bolt myself.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by JKMudder
Why would you need the adjustability? Thats what I dont understand. If the lift is designed to give you 3.5" of lift, gives you that amount and realigns components to factory specs via the included control arms and track bar brackets, what is the point of having the extra adjustability if you dont plan to alter the lift in the future?

rcjeep, as a 2 door owner, would I need to replace the front driveshaft with this kit or will it be fine w/ the stocker? Also, does this kit have progressive coils as the newer 2.5" kits do? I assume you guys learned your lesson from the sagging issues you had on the older 2.5" kits. Just wondered as I plan to run LoD bumpers front/rear and don't want to be sagging down to a 2" lift in a year.
No, this kit does not have progressive springs.
The weight issue was the biggest hurdle for the progressive springs. The first 1" -2" were rated on the light side, so they would give the best ride possible. But, heavy bumpers, winches, etc. really made an impact. These springs are linear and based on the OEM spring rates, so they will roughly react the same to a heavy load.

No drive shafts are needed. This kit gives you 3.5" in the front and about 3" in the rear. The DS appear to be fine from our tests. We also drop the cross-member a bit to clear the front DS.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RANGER666
I only commented on this because being very new to this not to long ago I RACKED my brain on what to do. As soon as I settled on something I would read another post and it would change my entire plan. I did this at least 5 times where I let everyones horror stories about their lifts scare me out of buying them. And by the end of the day it comes down to what your looking to do with your jeep and how much you have to spend. (And a personal thing for me is who has the best customer service).

This is exactly what i'm going through. I'm new to this and i read good and bad posts. It changes my decisions every time. I will pretty much do mild offroading and trails and am on a limited budget. This is why this RC kit looks so good to me. But after reading good and bad reviews about other kits I get nervous. I should just stop listening and pull the trigger and do it. I can build on it later on if needed.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rcjeep
The weight issue was the biggest hurdle for the progressive springs. The first 1" -2" were rated on the light side, so they would give the best ride possible. But, heavy bumpers, winches, etc. really made an impact. These springs are linear and based on the OEM spring rates, so they will roughly react the same to a heavy load.

No drive shafts are needed. This kit gives you 3.5" in the front and about 3" in the rear. The DS appear to be fine from our tests. We also drop the cross-member a bit to clear the front DS.
So i take it those of us with winch bumpers and winches will notice a sag in the front..
Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the extended length of the front shocks? And how much do you lower the skid plate I am not sure what a bit would be.

David
Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

From the looks of it on their site, the skid plate is lowered maybe 3/8 of a inch with spacers provided in the kit.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Youri
How long did you guys test it for?

Maybe on a 4-door it will be fine for a while, but definitely not on a 2 door. If you do a 3.5 inch lift, start saving up for tom woods driveshafts.
We have been installing our 4" kit on 2 and 4 door versions for years. Actually we just checked out a 2dr that was one of our very first 4" installs. It has been on there at least 3years now. Stock driveshafts, no issues.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the extended length of the front shocks? And how much do you lower the skid plate I am not sure what a bit would be.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.