Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumping noise when I hit Bumps

Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping noise when I hit Bumps

OK so I did a little trail riding this weekend, nothing remotely hard. Flexed the new suspension out a little but no big deal. When I came out of the notch it was normal creaks and a little pop. All sounded normal comparing my 2013 to my 2007 JKU. Now after a couple days of road driving when I hit a pothole or bump I get a bump or a thud under my feet. It sounds like it is coming from around the TC, but when I get under the Jeep i find nothing that jumps out at me. Checked the lift, shocks, springs, drive shafts, and even got on the bumpers and jumped around to try to simulate the noise. Im a big guy at 275 so I can rock the JKU pretty good, but still can't recreate the knock. Any help would be great. Oh yeah and the best part is it only has 1800 miles.

2013 JKU Rubicon
3.5 Rubicon Express with 1" body spacer
37 inch Nitto TG

Last edited by Ryker7718; 06-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Mine was doing the same thing. Turned out that my Smittybilt rock slider on the right side was mounted to high. Whenever I hit a bump it would knock on my frame. I notched it out and slid it down. Knocking noise disappeared.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeffJeepwldcat
Mine was doing the same thing. Turned out that my Smittybilt rock slider on the right side was mounted to high. Whenever I hit a bump it would knock on my frame. I notched it out and slid it down. Knocking noise disappeared.
Funny you say that I just had the SRC with the steps installed last week. It feels like a heavy thud with a shudder to it. Ill loo tomorrow. Thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Where did you happen to trim. The bolts or the steps. I took it to Jeep dealer and they couldn't fix it.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same thing after I had my lift installed. When I went to get it re torqued they fixed it. Can't remember exactly what it was but it had something to do with the down pipe was striking something. Have a 2013JKU. Hope that helps narrow it down
Old 06-28-2013, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had tge same problem with mine after I installed the procomp 2.5" lift. It was fine for a few days but after the new springs settled in the driver side rear spring was coming in contact with the bolt thats passes through the relocation bracket. I jacked the jeep up and turned the bolt around so that the threads were pointing towards the rear. No more noise. Its funny how a small problem in the back of your rig makes you think the front-end is coming apart
Old 06-28-2013, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds dumb, but are you sure it's not the brake pedal? Mine was making a clunking or thudding noise and turned out it's my damn brake pedal. Got way louder after the lift and tires.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

U-joints?

O|||||||O
Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

So what was the problem, and how did you solve it?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default brake pedal noise caused a similar noise

Originally Posted by jbry311
Sounds dumb, but are you sure it's not the brake pedal? Mine was making a clunking or thudding noise and turned out it's my damn brake pedal. Got way louder after the lift and tires.
I took my rig to the dealer after I isolated the noise - placed my foot behind the pedal to keep it from moving - noise stopped. They replaced the brake pedal assembly. That lasted for a couple thousand of miles but it's back. Anyone experience the same? Any fixes out there?

Quick Reply: Thumping noise when I hit Bumps