Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting a Soft top

Old 01-21-2015, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting a Soft top

Looking for an easy way to tint the "windows" on a soft top other then buying the pre-tinted replacements online......any suggestions? I heard that nightshade spray works but I don't know how well and/or the quality of it
Old 01-21-2015, 05:17 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I'd go with replacements
Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
I'd go with replacements
im gonna end up buying a hard top soon also so I don't wanna spend the money on a soft top as well you know
Old 01-21-2015, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

The night shade will definitely be cheaper, but I think it's going to be hard to get a nice consistent coat on there without making it completely black. My bet would be that you get a cloudy window that is hard to see out of. I would also be concerned about it peeling, bubbling, or flaking when the windows "bend." I have just seen it on tail lights, I'm not sure how it handles flexible things.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Waldo_88
The night shade will definitely be cheaper, but I think it's going to be hard to get a nice consistent coat on there without making it completely black. My bet would be that you get a cloudy window that is hard to see out of. I would also be concerned about it peeling, bubbling, or flaking when the windows "bend." I have just seen it on tail lights, I'm not sure how it handles flexible things.
yea I've used it on taillights before and it worked good my concern was exactly what you said because it's not a solid shape idk how well it will stay
Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jmagrone
yea I've used it on taillights before and it worked good my concern was exactly what you said because it's not a solid shape idk how well it will stay
I haven't looked into it, but last time I was down the paint aisle there was a version of plasti dip for tinting. Not sure how it would hold up but it should be more flexible. That and it peels off if it looks like ass.

If it was me though, I'd just buy tinted windows and try and sell the clear ones. If your getting rid of your soft top when you get a hard top you'll be able to sell it easier and probably recoup the value with the tinted windows anyways.

Jason
Old 01-21-2015, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

yea I know what you mean I just like playing around with it to see how I could make it look...I know what plastidip ur talking about too ill try them both out and ill post some pics once I do.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

I did it to the side windows on my soft top when i first bought it. Sprayed the inside not the out. The inside looks crappy and uneven. I could have put more coats on to smooth it, but it just would have made it even worse to see out of. From the outside, it looked dark and like normal tinted windows. I did not do my rear window because i kind of like to see out of it. The side windows were a test, glad i didnt do the rear first. If you can get your hands on ordering the plastidip tinting spray, id say do that. So when youre ready to sell, you can throw some goo gone or wd40 on the windows and clean them back to clear. Just my 2 cents.

long story short - spray the inside of the windows with night shade and you wont be able to see out, but looks great from the outside....
Old 01-21-2015, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GhostJeep
I did it to the side windows on my soft top when i first bought it. Sprayed the inside not the out. The inside looks crappy and uneven. I could have put more coats on to smooth it, but it just would have made it even worse to see out of. From the outside, it looked dark and like normal tinted windows. I did not do my rear window because i kind of like to see out of it. The side windows were a test, glad i didnt do the rear first. If you can get your hands on ordering the plastidip tinting spray, id say do that. So when youre ready to sell, you can throw some goo gone or wd40 on the windows and clean them back to clear. Just my 2 cents.

long story short - spray the inside of the windows with night shade and you wont be able to see out, but looks great from the outside....
ill try and find a can or 2 of the plasti dip tint like u said and ill see how it comes out...did you spray it with is still on ur truck or u took it off?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jmagrone
ill try and find a can or 2 of the plasti dip tint like u said and ill see how it comes out...did you spray it with is still on ur truck or u took it off?
Don't do it! Looks like crap! I did & regret it. Very spotty on the inside.

Quick Reply: Tinting a Soft top