Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Problem

Old 03-23-2017, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Problem

Hey all. I just got my JK lifted, installed gears, and put on some 35x12.5 Nittos. All of the tires are at 35 PSI and the TPS seems to be reading accurately and yet the damn yellow tire symbol wont stop flashing.

First Question: I'm running 35x12.50 Nitto Terras on 18x10" wheels. What would be the best PSI?
Second Question: What can I do to make the JK's computer happy so it will stop that damn yellow wheel symbol?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Lifted.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	887.7 KB
ID:	668952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Lifted 3.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	668953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Lifted 2.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	994.8 KB
ID:	668954  
Old 03-23-2017, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check the tire pressure in your spare tire.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Between 28 and 32 is pretty common on a heavy ply radial in a 35. I run mine in the 28-30 range cold. Best thing to do is a chalk test. Just google tire chalk test and you'll find the instructions.

Next, you need some type of programmer to adjust your tire threshold. I set mine to 25 with my AEV Procal. Any programmer should be able to adjust tire pressure thresholds. With that said, keep this in mind. Anytime your tire pressure drops below what ever your threshold is currently set at, you have to pump the tire (s) up past the threshold before the light will go off. Mine comes on all the time with the cold weather as the pressure in my tires goes down with the temp at night. Typically once I jump on the highway they warm up to the minimum 31 psi and the light goes off. Just something to consider.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

^^^ +1
Old 03-24-2017, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I set my TPMS to 0 just avoid it and I am not running sensors in my slabs.

As mentioned above perform the chalk test to find the correct PSI for your Jeep.

R/
Will
Old 03-25-2017, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Canvas
I set my TPMS to 0 just avoid it and I am not running sensors in my slabs.

As mentioned above perform the chalk test to find the correct PSI for your Jeep.

R/
Will
Yup... same here.. ditched the TPMS stuff when I went to slabs.

Use the chalk test for pressure.. that's not a perfect answer, but it gets close.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Sigh. When I bought my jeep used it had 60psi in the tires according to the TPMS. When I had my oil changed they deceased the pressure to 45. I had the tires rotated today at Big O and they left the pressures at 45. Now the jeep after rotation is vibrating like mad. I am reading everywhere where people are running in the mid 30s. What the heck?
Old 11-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by kempomark
Sigh. When I bought my jeep used it had 60psi in the tires according to the TPMS. When I had my oil changed they deceased the pressure to 45. I had the tires rotated today at Big O and they left the pressures at 45. Now the jeep after rotation is vibrating like mad. I am reading everywhere where people are running in the mid 30s. What the heck?
What brand and size tire are you running? That 60psi is really high, heck, even 45 psi is high to me.

The vibration could be from a weight being knocked off or the tires wore the middle out while at 60psi and now you have them set at 45psi which means the edges are more in contact with the road and so it would act like a tire that has cupping (which will cause vibration).

Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by kempomark
Sigh. When I bought my jeep used it had 60psi in the tires according to the TPMS. When I had my oil changed they deceased the pressure to 45.
I get how something might get pumped up that high at a dealer.....I never understand how a tire store can't figure big tires out. It's not like they're going on a Semi carrying thousand upon thousands of pounds around.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I get how something might get pumped up that high at a dealer.....I never understand how a tire store can't figure big tires out. It's not like they're going on a Semi carrying thousand upon thousands of pounds around.
It makes me crazy, all of the tire shops around here air them up to whatever the max pressure rating says on the side of the tire. I usually end up having to argue with them while the Jeep is in there, and then let the air out in their lot after they hand the Jeep back over.

The last time the guy even commented that he couldn't believe I had 60,000 on my MTR Ks. If you do a five tire rotation, and keep the pressures where they should be, they actually last quite a while.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Problem