Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires...(Goodyear Duratrac, Courser MXT, Nitto Ridge Grappler) on Stock Sahara Wheels

Old 01-01-2017, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires...(Goodyear Duratrac, Courser MXT, Nitto Ridge Grappler) on Stock Sahara Wheels

I am looking for tires for my JK and am looking for any feedback on the following:

Nitto Ridge Grappler:Ridge Grappler Light Truck Tire

Good Year Duratrac: https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

Mastercraft Courser MXT: CooperMastercraft - Courser MXT

All three are around the same price from what i've found online. I'm on the highway 95% of the time and just go off-road maybe once every couple of months, typically on old township roads. Crossing creeks and going through some mud is pretty common and I want a good tire on road, but also something that will keep up with the group when on the trails.

At the moment I haven't done any other mods to my JK. However i'm considering a 2.5" suspension lift this spring, but that is another thread. That being said i'm thinking of going with a 275/70R18 which should fit on my factory wheels Sahara wheels but give me a new aggressive 33" tire.

Are there any issues with rubbing that anyone can think of? what do you think about the tire size with the lift...too small?

Thank for all of the help. I can't wait to get the feedback started.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you need to drive in snowy conditions ?
Old 01-01-2017, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I'm in Ohio and we can have some snowy days here.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

The rubbing issues you are asking about should be minimal but with stock wheels you will probably contact the frame rail in the front just behind the tires when turning hard from stop to stop. This likely won't be corrected by a lift you'll need wheels or spacers. I just recently went to 285/75R17 with no lift until the spring.

Tire size is all matter of opinion and we all know how those are. Should do a search of forum for pictures of that setup and see if you like it.

-Brad

Last edited by toolow262; 01-01-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You'll want to go larger than the 275/70-18 you're asking about but I'll keep it on track since that's your question. What is the price point you're looking at? You've got 2 pretty similar tires and then one that doesn't belong. A tire that is a little lower priced than the GY is the Cooper MTP which is closer to the GY than the Mastercraft you've chosen.

I liked my Cooper tires but I don't believe they're quite in the same category for on road as the other two options you've selected.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Default Tires

I'm running Duratracs on my 15 Wrangler. I went with 275x65r18 size which is a 32" tire. This is the second time I went with Duratracs. First time in 2011. I was very happy with them on my 4 door. Now I have a 2 door with a new set and am not that happy in the snow and slush. Not sure if they changed the tire since my first set, or the fact that now I am in a 2 door and it handles different.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MasterCraft MTX

I'm Running the MTX in 37x12.50 on 17" Wheels.

Here is what I like about them:

1. Super quiet on the road for an MT
2. When aired down they grip the rocks like a champ.
3. You can run 4.5" backspace with these with no rubbing on the sway-bar.
4. Cost was a good value
5. No Chunking yet... This is amazing because I like the skinny pedal.
6. Aired down to 10 PSI no issues

Here is what I don't like about them

1. Not a True 37" tire mounted it was a mere 36.1" so thats what I set the Pro-Cal for
2. In order to get good wear on the road I have to run at 21 PSI
3. They run a little skinny 12" wide but this helps with not rubbing....so its a toss up...

Here are some pics of the Jeep with the tires
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Head on.JPG
Views:	658
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	663847   Click image for larger version

Name:	37GAP.JPG
Views:	1175
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	663848   Click image for larger version

Name:	NHVetransCem.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	663849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6790.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	663850   Click image for larger version

Name:	37Flex.JPG
Views:	838
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	663851  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CloseContact.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	663852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Limping.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	663853  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm running a set of Duratracs right now in 265 70 17. For what you describe, they'll be awesome. I only have one complaint about them..I'll get to that. On the positive side, they wear great..I have more than 40,000 miles on mine and they have lots of life left. They're very quiet. Traction is top notch both on and offroad. And the fact that they look good doesn't hurt.

Having said that, I'm in the market for new tires after having put a 2.5" lift on recently. My two finalists are the Nitto Ridge Grappler and the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro. Why no more Duratrac?? A couple of months ago my wife and I attended a Jeep Jamboree and ran 5 and 6 rated trails and I suffered a cut sidewall. Had always read about the Duratracs having relatively thin sidewalls and this outing proved this to be true. Duratracs are great tires, but if you play in the rough stuff their are better choices.

Hope this helps..good luck!
Old 01-01-2017, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

I've heard about the thin sidewalls of the dura tracks as well and to help narrow things I'm going to knock them off the list.

I've also heard that the MXTs are relatively quite on the road. I know a lot of guys that have them and really like them. That's why I included them in the first place.

Anyone have experience with the ridge grapplers?
Old 01-01-2017, 03:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GraniteJK_14
I've heard about the thin sidewalls of the dura tracks as well and to help narrow things I'm going to knock them off the list. I've also heard that the MXTs are relatively quite on the road. I know a lot of guys that have them and really like them. That's why I included them in the first place. Anyone have experience with the ridge grapplers?
Depends which Duratracs you choose. Some are 10 ply 3 ply sidewall which are as tough or tougher then others on your list.

Quick Reply: Tires...(Goodyear Duratrac, Courser MXT, Nitto Ridge Grappler) on Stock Sahara Wheels