Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires...(Goodyear Duratrac, Courser MXT, Nitto Ridge Grappler) on Stock Sahara Wheels

Old 01-01-2017, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by GraniteJK_14
At the moment I haven't done any other mods to my JK. However i'm considering a 2.5" suspension lift this spring, but that is another thread. That being said i'm thinking of going with a 275/70R18 which should fit on my factory wheels Sahara wheels but give me a new aggressive 33" tire.

Are there any issues with rubbing that anyone can think of? what do you think about the tire size with the lift...too small?

Thank for all of the help. I can't wait to get the feedback started.
Personally I like a 33" tire, but it will probably rub the lower control arm at extreme full turn. An easy 25 cent fix is to add a thin washer to the steering stop bolts. There's a pic in my build thread, link in sig below, search for "steering stops".

Old 01-01-2017, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Duratracs here in the New Hampshire snow and curvy highways. They are really quiet for aggressive tires. I went with 285 70 17 on my stock 4 door 2012. Only rub occasionally when I'm not careful. I haven't bothered getting spacers yet. I went with the 8 ply so no issues with strength. Don't even consider lower ply on any tire.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:17 AM
JK Newbie

So I'm kinda new to all this. How do you know that it is an 8 ply or something else? Is that the load rating?
Old 01-03-2017, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

It's the load rating.

C= 6 ply
D= 8 ply and
E= 10 ply sidewall.

More plies equals firmer ride. The stock bridgestones are C rated. A lot of people like the DTs because they have a lot of sizes in D load and are more supple on the road. Most 33s will be E rated however. I have a set of cooper ATPs 275/70r18 on mine. I too like them and will replace these with another set of coopers. Also living in oh I favor a tire with good winter traction. I have had a couple of sets of GYs on trucks, SUVs and cars I have owner over the ears and cannot say I have eve liked a set of GYs on any of them. They wear well though I don't think they perform in wet and snow like I want them too.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is the exact thread I was hoping to find. I was about to buy a 275/70 18 Falken tire to put on my stock Sahara rims, but the place that is going to install my 2" lift is saying that the only way they'll fit is if you put wheel spacers, which I will never do.

So you guys are saying that a 275/70 18 tire will fit onto the stock sahara rim without an issue correct?
Old 01-06-2017, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chewmeista
This is the exact thread I was hoping to find. I was about to buy a 275/70 18 Falken tire to put on my stock Sahara rims, but the place that is going to install my 2" lift is saying that the only way they'll fit is if you put wheel spacers, which I will never do.

So you guys are saying that a 275/70 18 tire will fit onto the stock sahara rim without an issue correct?
Why would you "never" put spacers on? I've been running 1.5" Spidertraxx as one of my first mods. Probably about 150,000 miles on them and NO problems. I'm riding on my second new set of Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70r18 on my stock Sahara rims now. I think spacers are pretty great actually. Fills out the wheel wells and givers the Jeep a little wider stance. Handling benefit is noticed immediately too, goes from rolling like a ship in high seas to handling like a Lamborghini soon as you put them on. I would get the set, try them for a week and if you absolutely hate it, you can sell them and not be out a ton of cash either.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amen brother, lots of folks with a QUALITY spacer like spidertrax on here. Never had a problem with mine either.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a guy in my neighboor hood who is running a lift and that size tire with the nitto's your asking about. I don't know him, so I can only guess he is running a 2.5 inch lift. But I can say, his jeep looks great with that set up, nearly as tall as mine with 35's and 2.5 inch lift. I would stick to the Nitto's as they are likely the tallest, and look like they'd fit the bill nicely as an aggressive all terrain. I'll try and catch a pic if I see him.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run RC spacers (1.5")

I like them better than spidertrax. Same material. Same specs. Like that they are plain aluminum color, like my rims. Simple.

I've learned on these forums that spacers are different than adapters. These spidertrax and others that people reference that they do t like fit into the wheel adapter category.

Spacers are not good. They ack like a shim and make you lose thread and bolt length.

Adapters bolt onto the vehicle as would a wheel and then give you new full length bolts and threads.

Spacers bad, adapters good. Proper wheel back spacing best. Nothing wrong with adapters.

If I've misspoken with my limited knowledge please correct me.

Happy new year Jeepers.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I live in the UP of MI. Lots of ice and snow. been running 305/17 ridge grapplers for about 500 miles now. I'm very impressed with this tire. Last night we drove about a 150 miles on back roads covered with snow and ice to pick up a new pup and it drove down them at 60mph like it was bare pavement. The put the bfg mt that came on the jeep to shame on slippery roads. I don't know if there as good on snow as the bfg ats or duratracs but they sure have impressed me.

Quick Reply: Tires...(Goodyear Duratrac, Courser MXT, Nitto Ridge Grappler) on Stock Sahara Wheels