Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires... just need to vent...

Old 02-03-2016, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by decoy5657
I'm assuming some insider sarcasm on the hyrdo-assist.

Not really, although it's not in the plans of most people. Hugely better off-road experience, significantly better high-way experience (if you do it right), and you'll never have another balance induced steering shake no matter how screwed up your tires are (my tires are extremely screwed up and cannot be balanced and were undriveable on stock steering due to steering oscillations and shakes. Now completely smooth). And if you can weld and tap your own gear box it's very cheap, right around 10% the cost of PSC.

I can't believe more people don't do it, people treat it as something you do if you're hard core wheeling on 40's. It's the best upgrade I ever did on 35's and I'd say the same thing even if I never left pavement.

Assuming you're a more sane person than I am, ignore me and go get your tires road-force balanced at some other shop! Balancing tires isn't easy and some shops just don't have technicians that know how to do it.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy Nittos or Toyos and never look back!
Old 02-03-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christensent
Not really, although it's not in the plans of most people. Hugely better off-road experience, significantly better high-way experience (if you do it right), and you'll never have another balance induced steering shake no matter how screwed up your tires are (my tires are extremely screwed up and cannot be balanced and were undriveable on stock steering due to steering oscillations and shakes. Now completely smooth). And if you can weld and tap your own gear box it's very cheap, right around 10% the cost of PSC.

I can't believe more people don't do it, people treat it as something you do if you're hard core wheeling on 40's. It's the best upgrade I ever did on 35's and I'd say the same thing even if I never left pavement.

Assuming you're a more sane person than I am, ignore me and go get your tires road-force balanced at some other shop! Balancing tires isn't easy and some shops just don't have technicians that know how to do it.
I'll take a look at it. I don't really have any steering wheel wobble to speak of. The whole vehicle is bumbling around. I aired down to 30 from 37 or so and it's better, but it's still happening.

It's important to note 200 miles ago when I had the stock tires on there, it rode absolutely perfect to 85mph. (Never been faster than that)
Old 02-03-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by decoy5657
I'll take a look at it. I don't really have any steering wheel wobble to speak of. The whole vehicle is bumbling around. I aired down to 30 from 37 or so and it's better, but it's still happening.

It's important to note 200 miles ago when I had the stock tires on there, it rode absolutely perfect to 85mph. (Never been faster than that)
If you don't feel it in the steering wheel I doubt any changes to steering will change anything. I don't know what's going on then, usually you can feel tire balance in the steering wheel. Possibly worth rotating tires to see if the problem changes at all, might be just one bad tire.

One other thought, are the rims new? Some after-market rims you have to remove the clips that hold the brake discs on (the clips are not necessary). The clip will sit between the hub and the wheel putting it at an angle and it'll do awful things to your ride quality.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stock wheels/rims. Same ones that were fine a few weeks ago.

Just swapped front/rear tires. Will go for a test run in the morning and see if things move into the steering wheel. Right now the whole tub is hopping up and down.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you done a chalk test to see if you have any high or low spots on the tires (cupping)
you could have a bent LCA or something

Quick Reply: Tires... just need to vent...