Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS corrosion.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS corrosion.

2 weeks ago in had a local tire shop install my 315 tires and rims. Everything went great for the rest of the week on the tires and they were balanced well. Well last week I noticed some water that accumulated on the rim. (There's a "levy" between the fake beadlock and the spokes of the week). Well in that "levy" is where the valve stem and TPMS sit and you could hear the water bubbling and see bubbles coming around my TPMS. Took it back and they said the front and rear driver side TPMS were corroded and they rebuilt them. Fast forward another week and the passenger side rear is doing the same thing.
Has anyone had issues like this when installing new rims and transferring the old TPMS to the new wheels?
It's been a real pain in the ass.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The "rebuild" is usually just new rubber where the stems come through the wheel. The old rubber may be conformed to the other wheel and not sealing well with the new wheel. I can see where that would be an issue but corrosion seems less likely.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Yea they didn't say anything about that. They just said the old ones were corroded and wouldn't seal properly. I don't see how there corroded since it's spent it's whole life in Florida and Guam and only less than a year up north. I think what you said us more likely.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

What year is your JK? You have the aluminum stems?
I replaced mine with rubber stem sensors when I got new tires, at the six year mark.
The aluminum stems were so corroded they couldn't be removed without damaging them.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-15-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

He's got the 08 as well. Admittedly, my TPMS only lasted a year before they were removed. My 09 GTI with the same aluminum stems didn't have corrosion when they were removed last spring.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Correct 08. Aluminum stems.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Which wheels did you get?

I have not personally run across such a problem, but I often see aftermarket wheels listed as being TPMS "compatible".

I'm not sure what that means, but as an example the AEV Pintler wheels list it as one of their features. So I'm guessing it must mean something.
American Expedition Vehicles - Brute Kit, V8 HEMI, Aftermarket Jeep Conversions, Products, Wheels, Accessories and Highline Kits for Jeeps (TJ, JK, WK, XK).

Quick Reply: TPMS corrosion.