Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transferring TPMS sensors to new wheels

Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transferring TPMS sensors to new wheels

I'm about to replace my stock 16 inch wheels with stock 17 inch rims and 285/75r17 tires, but not sure if I can transfer the sensors from my old rims to the new ones. I assume I can, but what's involved? Will they reset and reprogram themselves automatically or will I need to get my computer flashed? I'm am amateur when it comes to this topic, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jbry311
I'm about to replace my stock 16 inch wheels with stock 17 inch rims and 285/75r17 tires, but not sure if I can transfer the sensors from my old rims to the new ones. I assume I can, but what's involved? Will they reset and reprogram themselves automatically or will I need to get my computer flashed? I'm am amateur when it comes to this topic, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
The sensors simply need to be removed and swapped to the new wheels. Thankfully there is nothing electronic required.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

On older systems, not sure about JKs.

If you have the information system with individual pressure readings, make sure to keep them in the same position, or you can reprogram them to each new position.

Last edited by gundybears; 05-22-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by gundybears
On older systems, not sure about JKs.

If you have the information system with individual pressure readings, make sure to keep them in the same position, or you can reprogram them to each new position.

How do you rotate tires with that old system?

Just swap them onto the new rims and the computer will pick up the signals. Some posts have indicated that it took a day to recalibrate or sense them or whatever it needs to do.

OR - just leave them out and buy a procal
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

When I was a mechanic we had a little scanner type tool, and after rotating we went over them with it. It would honk after recalibrating the new position.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I changed wheels on my 2010, the sensors were just simply installed in the new wheels. After driving above 20mph for 10-15 minutes the signals were picked up by the computer and that was that.

When I swapped wheels a few months ago on my '13, I just left the sensors out completely. The light's on and it doesn't bother me in the least.

Quick Reply: Transferring TPMS sensors to new wheels