Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission coolers

Old 10-21-2014, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission coolers

Just came across a very informative post over on American Adventurist site about where to install a transmission cooler seems that it should be installed before the fluid goes thru the radiator? CHECK IT OUT MAY SAVE A TRANSMISSION OR 2
Old 10-22-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't think I want my tranny fluid going trough my radiator

And adding on another tranny cooler has been around or awhile now , especially on the 07 to 11 models
Old 10-22-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jaker t5
i don't think i want my tranny fluid going trough my radiator
rotfl!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

That would disagree with every manufacturer instructions, even OEM installs. Every one says bypass the radiator or go radiator then cooler. Also if your engine runs hot it would cause the transmission that is more sensitive to heat to run hot. With my transmission cooler I stay around 120 degrees according to the ECU. I couldn't find that article do you have a link?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-358471380.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	580995  
Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The JK's OEM transmission cooler doesn't involve the engine radiator at all. Pre-2012, the cooler was a small unit on the bottom of the A/C condenser. 2012 and after, it is a larger cooler in front of the radiator, making adding another one mostly unnecessary.

When adding an additional cooler, it's simplest to connect it into the return line after the OEM cooler. The fluid's route will then be through the OEM cooler, then through the added cooler, and back to the transmission.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The JK's OEM transmission cooler doesn't involve the engine radiator at all. Pre-2012, the cooler was a small unit on the bottom of the A/C condenser. 2012 and after, it is a larger cooler in front of the radiator, making adding another one mostly unnecessary.

When adding an additional cooler, it's simplest to connect it into the return line after the OEM cooler. The fluid's route will then be through the OEM cooler, then through the added cooler, and back to the transmission.
2012's and newer still have the small cooler at the bottom of the A/C condenser, just like the earlier 3.8L models. They then have an auxilliary cooler in front of the condenser. This is essentially identical to the system you'd you'd have on 3.8L if you installed an aftermarket aor Mopar aux. coolerr inline after the one at the bottom of the condenser. Seems odd they'd keep the condenser mounted one on the 2012+, but seems to prove the earlier ones need the additional cooling to keep trans temps safe. If you own an '07 - '11 3.8L with automatic, not worth the risk , get a supplemental trans oil cooler on there. Numerous good kits, from inexpensive tparts store stuff to the factory-look one from Mopar.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by SoK66
2012's and newer still have the small cooler at the bottom of the A/C condenser, just like the earlier 3.8L models. They then have an auxilliary cooler in front of the condenser. This is essentially identical to the system you'd you'd have on 3.8L if you installed an aftermarket aor Mopar aux. coolerr inline after the one at the bottom of the condenser. Seems odd they'd keep the condenser mounted one on the 2012+, but seems to prove the earlier ones need the additional cooling to keep trans temps safe. If you own an '07 - '11 3.8L with automatic, not worth the risk , get a supplemental trans oil cooler on there. Numerous good kits, from inexpensive tparts store stuff to the factory-look one from Mopar.
I have looked at several 2012+ JKs and could not see any lines going to the bottom of the A/C condenser; only the lines from the bigger cooler, to the transmission.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I have looked at several 2012+ JKs and could not see any lines going to the bottom of the A/C condenser; only the lines from the bigger cooler, to the transmission.
Hmmm. The parts I saw illustration shows the same condenser/cooler part number for 3.8 & 3.6, with a connector pair of lines from the condenser mounted cooler to the big one .

Now I'll have to check one in the flesh! ;-)
Old 10-24-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SoK66

Hmmm. The parts I saw illustration shows the same condenser/cooler part number for 3.8 & 3.6, with a connector pair of lines from the condenser mounted cooler to the big one .

Now I'll have to check one in the flesh! ;-)
The additional trans cooler the 12+ now have been around for years. It was a dealer part listed as an auxiliary cooler for towing and not very well known. I have one myself to help with my overheating issues. There are a few threads on here about them, that's how I found mine. There are 2 lines that enter neart the condenser.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by blue project
The additional trans cooler the 12+ now have been around for years. It was a dealer part listed as an auxiliary cooler for towing and not very well known. I have one myself to help with my overheating issues. There are a few threads on here about them, that's how I found mine. There are 2 lines that enter neart the condenser.
I also have the OEM aux cooler on my 2008. It is different from the coolers on the 2012+ JKs.
The aux coolers we have are plumbed as an add-on in series with the small original cooler.

Quick Reply: Transmission coolers