Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trektop NX kayak transport?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trektop NX kayak transport?

Has anyone ever transported a kayak on top of a trektop nx? I've got about a 250 mile trip I need to make with one and wasn't sure what to do. I was thinking foam blocks on the windshield frame and sound bar. Canoe is only 11' long and weighs 32 lbs so not a ton of weight but I'd have to strap it down. Thoughts?
Old 07-06-2015, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssramage
Has anyone ever transported a kayak on top of a trektop nx? I've got about a 250 mile trip I need to make with one and wasn't sure what to do. I was thinking foam blocks on the windshield frame and sound bar. Canoe is only 11' long and weighs 32 lbs so not a ton of weight but I'd have to strap it down. Thoughts?
Bump for an answer...Been thinking about this as well...Only other option would be to take the rear off and have it hang out FAR with a red flag on it. I'd assume you'd be filling the interior with gear? Or have a 2 door?
Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
Bump for an answer...Been thinking about this as well...Only other option would be to take the rear off and have it hang out FAR with a red flag on it. I'd assume you'd be filling the interior with gear? Or have a 2 door?
Car seat in the back seat so no way to do that. That's what I plan on doing for the short 2 mile commute from my place to the water, but getting it here I won't have that option...
Old 07-06-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my canoe is 16'6" and I put it up on the windshield and sound bar using foam blocks. two straps to the front bumper one in the middle and two on the rear bumper. I don't have a nx but I do have the offroad heroes fastback.

Last edited by svk8; 07-06-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Doesn't look like anyone's really tried it with the NX. I think I'll give it a shot and just hope for the best. It's only 32# so it won't be a ton of weight up there and should ride pretty easily.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think with it being frameless you should be fine. Like others said, maybe foam blocks under the kayak and you should be good.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Saw this late, but I've done 3-4 trips with my NX and two kayaks on top. Pool noodles, ratchet straps and 550 cord. I put three pool noodles down across the windshield/header, the B-pillar and the C-pillar, put the kayaks on, took the ratchet strap ran it from rock rail to rock rail along the B-pillar over the kayaks and 550 cord from the bow to the front shackles, 550 cord from the stern to the rear shackles.

The only issue was the ratchet strap had slid back a few inches and I had to get out and remove it before I could open the rear jeep door fully. Fixed this the second time out by running it in front of one of the cleats on the kayaks.

Quick Reply: Trektop NX kayak transport?