Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truss help

Old 09-14-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truss help

I have a 2008 4door with a lot of extra weight on it and NO lift yet. Bumpers winch armor and stuff. I'm looking at getting a truss installed. I like the Artec truss for my D30. I went to an jeep shop around here that has installed some truss's and they told me I would need a good lift so I didn't hit it when I'm flexing. I will be putting on a 2.5 lift at some point. I'm getting in to my axle to sleeve it and c gussets and replace a leaking seal. I wanted to truss it at the same time. But I'm afraid I can't now. Has any one installed a truss with no lift. And if I lift my jeep 2.5 will that be okay? I want to keep my center of gravity low and go to 37s
Old 09-14-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know what it would hit? The truss sits lower than the upper control arms and the top of the diff. I would try contacting Artec and see what they say.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

It can hit the frame. You do need to run more bump stop than stock.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi

I wish i wouldn't have put a truss on my front. Mines a different axles but i lost up travel, and ended up a little higher then i wanted. It wasnt drastic but definitely a little bit.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

I thought about add the appropriate bump stops if needed. And is having a truss with sleeves worth loosing my up lift? How much up lift did you loose when you you added yours?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nh08jk
I thought about add the appropriate bump stops if needed. And is having a truss with sleeves worth loosing my up lift? How much up lift did you loose when you you added yours?
Compared to a stock JK, you'd need to add a min of 2" of bump stop (might be 3", I forget). If you're running 37s and stock fenders on xyz lift, you're fine as you will need that much bump anyway. If it is stock suspension, you're loosing valuable flex.

Sleeves are cheap and easy and add about 60% strength improvement to the tubes. If you need more beef than that, it's time to step up to a big boy axle.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think it will hit the frame. I run one with 1.5" bumps and the truss isn't even close to hitting the frame. For a DL flip you need a min 3" total bump(bumps plus frame notch).
Old 09-14-2014, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Compared to a stock JK, you'd need to add a min of 2" of bump stop (might be 3", I forget). If you're running 37s and stock fenders on xyz lift, you're fine as you will need that much bump anyway. If it is stock suspension, you're loosing valuable flex. Sleeves are cheap and easy and add about 60% strength improvement to the tubes. If you need more beef than that, it's time to step up to a big boy axle.
thats a lot of bump stop and with no lift or my 2.5 that I'm goin to put in I don't like the idea of that. What size lift and tires do you run with ur truss?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ringer
I don't think it will hit the frame. I run one with 1.5" bumps and the truss isn't even close to hitting the frame. For a DL flip you need a min 3" total bump(bumps plus frame notch).
What truss do you have and what lift and size tire are you running?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ringer
We have a local guy in our group with an Artec truss on a D44 and it has hit his oil pan twice (last time was a pretty hard hit). I don't the specifics to his setup, but he's running typical stuff. I guess that's not the frame, haha.

There are many variables, but generally speaking, the truss doesn't work with stock suspension.

To the OP, the best bet is to just call Artec and ask. They're really good about answering your questions.

Quick Reply: Truss help