Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unhappy with Discount Tire

Old 04-17-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unhappy with Discount Tire

Took my Jeep in today to get the tires rotated, probably the first time I didn't sit right there and watch the work being done. The guy came in to tell me what he had done, new policy dictates that they remove your wheel spacers and reinstall them to make sure they are seated properly, clean, etc. However, they are NOT reinstalling with loctite on the threads. I would think Discount Tire would change their policy to ask the customer first before they do it and if done reinstall with the manufacturers recommended thread locker. As much as I think corporate policy is off here, the store I go to in Evansville is fantastic.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon, Tereflex leveling kit, 1" MORE bl, Warn 8k winch, 315/70/17 on stock painted wheels with Spidertrax spacers, ORW trans cooler, Cobra cb
Old 04-17-2014, 09:13 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Wait until you have the fight on where the two new tires you just bought need to be installed. Long story short, I had a bad front end I was about to rebuild on the Jeep. The front tires had worn down, needing replacing and they said they must mount the tires with the most tread on the rear of the vehicle for safety reasons. I started laughing thing it was a joke or something, but he was very serious, started explaining to me how I could lose control of my vehicle eaiser if the back tires blew and all this other junk. By now I must getting about as red as my Jeep, I interupted him and asks him to please bring me his manager, which he gladly did. The manager started the same speech about my personal safety and all that crap, so I interupted him and explained I was a comfortable with my chioce to mount the tires I just spent a thousand dollors on the front. He simply would not do it, all he could do is remount my old tires and send me on my way. I had them mount them on the back then stopped at an independent and had them put on the front, filled out an email survey discount tire always send out telling them what I think of the new policies they have adopted and never heard a word back from them (rant over).

To solve my problem I just bought beedlocks and use the independent dealer, he smiles when he see's me pull in and will give me a beer out of his cooler when I want one.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are either of these really that big a deal? It probably took longer to post the complaint than it would to either swap the tires front to back (jdk) or remove them, apply locktite to the two wheel spacers and throw the wheels back on. I'm picky about my jeep too which is why when I buy tires I only have them mounted/balanced on the rims and then drive back and put them on myself.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by towel33
Are either of these really that big a deal? It probably took longer to post the complaint than it would to either swap the tires front to back (jdk) or remove them, apply locktite to the two wheel spacers and throw the wheels back on. I'm picky about my jeep too which is why when I buy tires I only have them mounted/balanced on the rims and then drive back and put them on myself.
Perhaps, but if I'm going to pay someone to work on my tires, I sure don't want to immediately have to redo the work they just did!

You pay for the service, not to service it yourself.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Perhaps, but if I'm going to pay someone to work on my tires, I sure don't want to immediately have to redo the work they just did!

You pay for the service, not to service it yourself.
Tire rotation is free...so maybe the "you get what you pay for" (or didn't pay for) applies here.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

With proper torque, I see no need for loc-tite to be honest..
Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree it's not a big deal but I also feel the customer should always be right and your larger corporations often have no choice but to do things their way to protect themselves where a smaller shop could just say ok I warned you have it your way.

Nothing wrong with bigger corporations, just know their limitations, prices or service often you have to pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion, Discount tire has the right to conduct business how they see fit (within laws etc) and you have the right to take your business elsewhere.
Both parties exercised their rights and now you do your business with an independent shop and it sounds like you are pretty happy with them. Discount tire mitigates their liability and you found a good shop- win/win for everyone
Personally, I like the discount tire near me, they screwed up on an order (Tera grapplers are not Trail Grapplers: P), but they made up for it by throwing a very nice discount on the correct tires and I drove around on their tires whilst I waited for the correct tires to show up.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're a Jeeper. Do the rotations yourself and know it's done right.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Most shops have to put limits on what they will or won't do when servicing vehicles because we are a sue-happy country. They have probably been sued for doing something they thought was dangerous because "the customer is always right" and an accident occurred. Same reason a bartender is required to stop serving a drunk customer no matter how much they complain.

They don't know what expertise any customer does or doesn't have but they would be held as the expert in a court case and expected to exercise professional judgment.

Quick Reply: Unhappy with Discount Tire