Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unhappy with Discount Tire

Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im no lawyer but I would think that reinstalling the spacers NOT according to the manufacturers specs (no loctite) would open them up to being sued. Its stupid, Its very easy to check torque without breaking the loctite bond.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most companies won't even thouch a vehicle tire that a customer is using a spacer. Maybe for this very reason.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:27 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by towel33
Are either of these really that big a deal? It probably took longer to post the complaint than it would to either swap the tires front to back (jdk) or remove them, apply locktite to the two wheel spacers and throw the wheels back on. I'm picky about my jeep too which is why when I buy tires I only have them mounted/balanced on the rims and then drive back and put them on myself.
Guess your a little more passive than I am, I still expect a dollars value for a dollar spent.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Every company has a policy put in place and standard operating procedures for legal and liability reasons. Are they supposed to change them because the customer doesn't agree with them?

Sure, I expect my service to be thorough and done properly because I'm paying for it. But if it's a service they do not offer, than it's not part of my dollar in which I'm spending...

Why is this such a difficult concept???
Old 04-17-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdk
Guess your a little more passive than I am, I still expect a dollars value for a dollar spent.
...or like I mentioned in my response, I don't let anyone but me work on my jeep. If you know the way you want it done why on earth would you pay someone else to do the job?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by towel33
Tire rotation is free...so maybe the "you get what you pay for" (or didn't pay for) applies here.
Not free....you paid for that rotation service when you purchased the tires and installation.

Personally I rotate my own tires but some people don't have the time, tools or know how.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-17-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Discount tire is a solid company. As noted before, there are liability issues that prevent them from doing certain things. If that is an issue, blame our BS society that sues for every minor issue.

They should have declined to service your wheels because of the spacers. You should thank them for the willingness to do the work they did.

Regardless, the issue here is that if you want to modify your vehicle, you need to take care of those parts related to modification. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're supposed to check the torque of wheel spacers whenever you remove the wheels? No tire shop will purposely do that. It's plain crazy to trust a shop to properly handle them.

I need to correct myself though. The above paragraph isn't the real issue. The issue is using the spacers in the first place. Next issue is buying them and not maintaining them yourself.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

When I was running spacers on Lenard they declined me service until I removed the spacers. Glad I did though in the long run.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Napalm
When I was running spacers on Lenard they declined me service until I removed the spacers. Glad I did though in the long run.
Please explain more on the use or not of spacers.jj

Quick Reply: Unhappy with Discount Tire