Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading bumpers, anything else needed?

Old 04-26-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading bumpers, anything else needed?

I have a 2014 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and I'm looking to upgrading the front and rear bumpers this summer. I've been told conflicting things however about whether or not I'll need to upgrade the suspension at all (mainly the front) to compensate for the added weight. Can anybody give me some advice on if i need to do anything to the suspension to compensate for this added weight please?

The bumpers I'm planning on putting on are both 3/16" steal plate construction. The rear I'm not getting with the tire carrier yet, but I have the ability to add it later on. The front I'm going with either a mid or full length.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steel bumpers certainly weigh more than the stock. Do you need to compensate for the added weight, no. That said you will probably want to due the sag. 1/4 or 1/2 in spring spacers would do the trick and are easy to install.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Throw the new bumpers on, wait a few months a see. There's no exact answer as too how much you will sag. Installing a small spacer is easy and can be done with basic hand tools if you end up going that route.

Quick Reply: Upgrading bumpers, anything else needed?