Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using stock fog light wiring for KC's w/ new XRC front bumper??

Old 02-21-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Using stock fog light wiring for KC's w/ new XRC front bumper??

I got a new Smittybilt XRC front bumper & it came with 2 KC HiLites 6" Apollo Pro Series lights. Does anyone know if it is possible to wire these lights into the existing stock fog light wiring & be able to us the stock switch on the steering console?
Old 03-08-2014, 12:05 AM
JK Newbie

I have been told you can. Im in the process of getting a bumper and would like to do the same thing. Let me know if this works.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes you can, a friend of mine did that and it works fine
Old 03-08-2014, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just did it! I used a relay and used one of the Fog Light wires to trip it. Worked like a charm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2014, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know if there is a package that will just plug into the existing wiring? The bumper im using doesnt accept the factory fogs so i was just looking for driving lights that plug up so i can still use the factory fof switch.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bsmarble
I just did it! I used a relay and used one of the Fog Light wires to trip it. Worked like a charm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I also have the xrc bumper and have attached some warn fogs, but would like to use the OEM fog light switch....which fog light wire did you use in the OEM harness? I can't find a diagram anywhere. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

If you want to use the stock fog light switch to control your aftermarket lights you can do the following.
1) Get a relay and hook the relay up to your battery for both positive and negative. This provides continous power to the relay.
2) Cut the plug, or splice into the white wire going to your stock fog light. Once you splice you will run this wire to the relay which will work to switch on the relay using your stock fog light switch.
3) There will be two legs of the relay that you will attach the positive and ground for your aftermarket lights.

All in all the stock fog light switch now acts as a switch to activate the relay, which already has power. The lights that are connected to the relay will then turn on once the relay is switched on using the stock fog light switch.

I hope this isn't confusing.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE="MGCwrangler;3859430"]If you want to use the stock fog light switch to control your aftermarket lights you can do the following. 1) Get a relay and hook the relay up to your battery for both positive and negative. This provides continous power to the relay. 2) Cut the plug, or splice into the white wire going to your stock fog light. Once you splice you will run this wire to the relay which will work to switch on the relay using your stock fog light switch. 3) There will be two legs of the relay that you will attach the positive and ground for your aftermarket lights. All in all the stock fog light switch now acts as a switch to activate the relay, which already has power. The lights that are connected to the relay will then turn on once the relay is switched on using the stock fog light switch. I hope this isn't confusing.[/QUOT

Thanks for the reply! I always use a relay when wiring my lights, but you did give me what I was looking for...."white wire". Thx a ton!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same set up and used the stock wiring. just cut the connector off pos to pos neg to neg, no special relays or anything and it works fine. mine came with some pro comps they are the green ones.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Depending on the current draw of your lights you may have CANBUS issues if you wire them direct. I recommend an interposing relay wired to your fog light connector and then run the relay contacts between your battery (fused) and lighting

Quick Reply: Using stock fog light wiring for KC's w/ new XRC front bumper??