Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

various CEL popped up

Old 01-19-2015, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I found a bit of a pattern in it. First time it happened was after a bunch of highway driving and slowing down to a red light. Every time I clear the DTCs and start driving, it can go away for the length of the high speed driving and whenever stopping or idling for a few seconds, they pop back up.

This makes me think the P258B (Vacuum Pump Control Range/Performance) code might be causing it... only because I already replaced the cam shaft sensor and our engines are VVT. From what I gather they don't produce enough vacuum pressure on their own and need the separate vacuum pump to get enough pressure. I checked the pump by the front bumper and all the hoses are still there and look in good shape.

Any ideas how to check the vacuum system? Google doesn't seem to have anything besides pump relocation ideas. Also I'm not sure if the pump generates pressure when the vehicle is highway driving or idling which would throw my theory out the window.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Woke up to about -8 celcious and the CEL was actually out! Hopped on the highway, felt all the power back, but as soon as I got to the first red light 10 minutes later the CEL popped back on and felt sluggish again.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Went on, then off, stay off last night, this morning, and then when I was out for lunch the GASCAP illuminated.

Gas cap is on and clicked, so I guess I'll check the evap lines before I spend the 30 bucks on a gas cap
Old 01-24-2015, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Well evap box and lines looked fine so bought a gas cap on Friday morning and cleared all the DTC. Ran fine with no CEL illuminating. Drove around a bit that evening around town and ended up installing the performance mapping over the mileage tune I had previous. Ran great some more, Saturday left for a trail run at about 08:00 and got home around 21:00... Numerous starts/stops/hard gas/light gas/etc.. through out the day and nothing.... I pull up to my house, literally into the parking spot and DING!! CEL illuminates... wtf

No vacuum pump CEL this time, just cam shaft position sensor (P0010) again and the headlight fyi codes.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disconnect your battery, lift your TIPM and check the connectors on the bottom.
If not, wiggle the wires and look for loose grounds or even shorted wires, especially ones to the headlights.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I kept it on the performance tune saturday night. Drove about 240km and I could not clear the CEL at all. It also had no power again in any gear, I was peddal to the floor in 4th going over most hills. Reflashed back to stock tune and was able to clear the code, also got all the power back and was able to drive until I stopped at a gas station and CEL illuminated again. Cleared the code and later that day, about 60km further the gas cap light went off again. Took the cap off, put it back on. Since then that was about 180km and no CEL or gas cap light.

Has to be some sensor or computer thing somewhere

Originally Posted by bazillus
Disconnect your battery, lift your TIPM and check the connectors on the bottom.
If not, wiggle the wires and look for loose grounds or even shorted wires, especially ones to the headlights.
That's a good suggestion. From what I've read it can be taken in and out in about 20 minutes so I think I'll do that and report back.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Cleaned out the connections on the TIPM and also cleaned up the grounding post on the TIPM

(Before cleaning)
Click image for larger version

Name:	kc3iHqPl.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	679635

Also replaced the negative battery terminal and it clamps a bit harder now
Click image for larger version

Name:	RoqVp4Yl.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	679636

Fingers crossed it makes a difference...
Old 01-29-2015, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

No luck, started it up, drove for a bit, slowed down and DING... Same P0010.

Anyone know the location or how difficult it is to access the OCV? Suppose that might be my next step.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Or actually I suppose if there is a way to test the OCV's first? There are 4 of them and about $84 each so ideally it would be nice if there was a way to test them before replacing.

Quick Reply: various CEL popped up