Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viberation highway speed

Old 08-17-2016, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viberation highway speed

Weeks ago I started getting a vibration around 70 mph and up, go below that its fine, just had tires re balances and front and checked any ideas ?
Old 08-17-2016, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you feel the vibration in the steering wheel it's probably a wheel/tire issue.

If you feel it seat of pants and in the floor it's probably a driveshaft/driveline issue.

If you can't tell you can rotate tires to see if it moves. Also you can pull the front and rear driveshafts separately and drive around to see if that had any effects.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Also check your transmission cross member. I had a buddy that had a vibration he could not find and it was caused by a well loved cross member. He replaced it and it went away.

R/
Will
Old 08-17-2016, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks I rotated tires no difference and you can feel vibes in the whole jeep not just steering wheel, gets worse the faster I go
Old 08-17-2016, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same kinda deal here. Bad shimmy side to side at only 55-60mph. But can feel it in fourth through sixth gear. Talked to the guys here at the auto hobby shop and the answer is DW. Well that's what they blurted out.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

No shimmy just vibration and faster you go turns into a drone
Old 08-18-2016, 07:00 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

How are the tires wearing? If they're cupping, this could be the cause.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You think the DS could not be balanced?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Death by dodge maybe?

I had this wild speed wobble as appose to "vibration". I went across the street to the local mechanic and they just replaced this ladies front end from the same thing .Called it "DEATH BY DODGE"!!!! Turns out there is a whole ton written on it .Huge ongoing problem. You hit a big bump at speeds from 45-55 mph AND BAM!!! It feels like the front wheels going to fall off.You either drive out of it (impossible) or stop .It happend within a week of me buying my 08 jku with 297,000 KMs on it..Took it back they said everything was tight as could be (and they passed the safety with no horn & parking break).Happened 2 weeks later again. SINCE PUTTING 20" WHEELS WRAPPED IN 35" MICKEY T DEGAN 38s I'VE NOT HAD THE PROBLEM RE-OCCUR since June .Go figure. I had waited to get it fixed as i was about to do a lift,but now Im really confused!!!!
Old 08-21-2016, 04:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstercanada
No shimmy just vibration and faster you go turns into a drone
OP, it sounds to me like you have a driveshaft issue. Did the issues start after you went wheeling? It's not uncommon to dent, boot tear, or knock a weight off a driveshaft. I would crawl underneath and examine both driveshafts. Put the rig in neutral and roll it as you examine you need to look over the entire shaft while spinning it. I've had a dented rear driveshaft do exactly what you describe and missed it the first 3 times I checked the shaft.

Look for torn boots and slung grease at the transfer case ends of both shafts (where the cv is). Check the accordion boots in the middle of the shafts where they extend and compress. Check the ujoint end of the front shaft where it attaches to the differential. Try to wiggle this up and down, side to side. There should be no play in the joint except rotational. Lastly look over the shafts themselves for dents, dings, and places where there used to be a weight welded on that went missing. (Factory weights are square and about the size of a nickel or quarter.)

This circled area in red where dented and the lightly torn boot to the right of that spot are what caused my driveshaft to behave like you describe. It looks like a minor issue but made my jeep quite unhappy, lol

Last edited by Biginboca; 08-21-2016 at 04:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Viberation highway speed