Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird warning light behavior

Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shearlow
So I don't know if this is still an issue with the '12s but my '08 had a similar issue this summer, I'd be driving and the lights, horn, blinkers, wipers, washers, and all the lights on the dash would come on and sometimes the engine would even shut itself off! I finally figured out that whenever I hit a bump, even a minor one, that this would happen... it ended up being the TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) and it is a dealer only item that had to be reprogrammed when replaced. You should still be under warranty on that but your symptoms sound very similar to what I had, I bet on that! try opening your hood and tapping on the module while somebody is inside watching, mine was so bad that I could tap it and make the wipers go with the key off... I hope this helps!
Now that you say this I recall one time having the cruise on and then I hit a bump on the road and the whole thing went nuts,im gonna check it out.Thank you
Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phljeeper
I have the same issue with my 12 Rubi. Driving down the road and everything seems to reset with the dash lighting everything up and dropping the speedo to 0. It was happening about twice a week but it seems to have gone away for the last few months. I took it to the dealer and they blamed my trailer brake controller as the computer coded a brake issue. Have the dealer look up the codes that register. Curious if others have the same code.
do you have an aftermarket hitch?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkmadness

do you have an aftermarket hitch?
I have a factory hitch but added a brake controller for a popup camper.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Mine did the exact same thing....i work for chrysler and there are no codes. We found out it was the clock spring we changed it hasnt done it again. That was about a month ago
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, there have been numerous resolutions mentioned -

1) Replace Battery
2) Replace TIPM
3) Replace Clock Spring
4) Replace Auto Disconnect Swaybar Unit (read on another thread)
5) Push all fuses down securely in fuse box (didn't work for me)
6) Unplug aftermarket brake controller (did you do that and if so did it resolve your issue?)

Does anyone have a good methodology for determining what is really causing the issue? My dealer is clueless and basically has said there are no codes and they can't reproduce the issue. Of course they didn't even test drive it... although the issue is sporadic so it's a crap shoot as to whether or not it would happen for them.

Last edited by scooby snacks; 05-13-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

I just had this issue myself but seemed to have fixed it. It got worse every week until my check engine light came on. I recently relocated my vacuum pump which I had to redo some wiring. I started to go through and check all the wiring and found an area of exposed wire that was touching the metal bracket causing a short. I moved the wire and no problems since and engine light went off.

Not saying yours is the same but def check your wiring if you have messed with it recently.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a winch installed. It's been on the Jeep for about 8 months so I will check the wiring on it. Thanks for the info.

Welcome to the forum!!

Originally Posted by Ricky47
I just had this issue myself but seemed to have fixed it. It got worse every week until my check engine light came on. I recently relocated my vacuum pump which I had to redo some wiring. I started to go through and check all the wiring and found an area of exposed wire that was touching the metal bracket causing a short. I moved the wire and no problems since and engine light went off.

Not saying yours is the same but def check your wiring if you have messed with it recently.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECE00jk
Mine did the exact same thing....i work for chrysler and there are no codes. We found out it was the clock spring we changed it hasnt done it again. That was about a month ago
Clock spring....?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is exactly what happened but this is not my jeep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YIEL4EKjE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited by jkmadness; 05-14-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like the battery to me. Have it load tested..

Quick Reply: Weird warning light behavior