Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welcome Distributing GraBars install trouble

Old 09-19-2015, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome Distributing GraBars install trouble

Hola all,

First off I Want to say this isn't a company bashing thread, I think its a great product, but I am having some serious install issues and am hoping to get some help for them or someone else. I got the rears on just fine, the fronts not so much. I thought I had the right side squared away, but the top bolt wasn't screwed in enough, so the metal extender was rattling around like crazy. I tried to torque it more, got it a bit closer but the extender still isn't loose and its rattling like crazy, both bolts are no stripped so I have no idea how to go about tightening the bolt or taking them out. I am a little disappointed that the metal used for the bolts was so soft. The left side fronts posed a different challenge entirely. I lost my socket down the trim trying to unbolt the a-pillar bolt. So now that is rattling around like crazy as well. Anyone know how easy/difficult thats going to be to locate and retrieve? Anyone have any tricks?
Old 09-19-2015, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed a couple of sets of these now and I agree, great solid product. However, the fronts either seem to go on real easy or they can be a bear. I added these on my buddy's JKU and basically threaded the bolts in with my fingers until the bolt bottomed out before I had to use an Allen Wrench to tighten. This was the first thing I added to my 2015 Rubicon and figured I would have them on in ten minutes or less or what I like to call a "One Beer Job" but instead had a hard time getting the bolts to start leaving me scared that I was cross-threading them. I removed them and re-started them several times trying to gain confidence of them going in correctly with basically the same result each time. I ended up just tightening them up but it just didn't feel proper. It didn't happen to me but I was sure I was going to snap the bolts or as mentioned strip them out. One felt so tight that I was sure it was stripped so I ran a tap into the threaded part of the pillar. It didn't seem to change anything and I just continued to torque it down. I know Welcome is great to work with so I would recommend contacting them for replacement hardware and I would run a tap in all four spots before re-installing. As for removing the strip bolts, depending on how much space there is you need to apply pressure while continuing to turn the bolt out. I have use a small pry-bar, straight blade screwdriver or some times the box end of a oversized wrench. Probably need to get a second set of hands to do this while you attempt to back the bolt out. As far as retrieving lost sockets you will probably just have to remove trim pieces once the Grabars are removed. Good luck but I would contact Welcome for guidance as well.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a set of these. Powder coated to match jeep. Easy install. Use magnetic sockets. And drink moonshine when installing. Not beer. Goes on much easier.

Sent from my Carl Gustav
Old 09-19-2015, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chandler Rubicon
I have installed a couple of sets of these now and I agree, great solid product. However, the fronts either seem to go on real easy or they can be a bear. I added these on my buddy's JKU and basically threaded the bolts in with my fingers until the bolt bottomed out before I had to use an Allen Wrench to tighten. This was the first thing I added to my 2015 Rubicon and figured I would have them on in ten minutes or less or what I like to call a "One Beer Job" but instead had a hard time getting the bolts to start leaving me scared that I was cross-threading them. I removed them and re-started them several times trying to gain confidence of them going in correctly with basically the same result each time. I ended up just tightening them up but it just didn't feel proper. It didn't happen to me but I was sure I was going to snap the bolts or as mentioned strip them out. One felt so tight that I was sure it was stripped so I ran a tap into the threaded part of the pillar. It didn't seem to change anything and I just continued to torque it down. I know Welcome is great to work with so I would recommend contacting them for replacement hardware and I would run a tap in all four spots before re-installing. As for removing the strip bolts, depending on how much space there is you need to apply pressure while continuing to turn the bolt out. I have use a small pry-bar, straight blade screwdriver or some times the box end of a oversized wrench. Probably need to get a second set of hands to do this while you attempt to back the bolt out. As far as retrieving lost sockets you will probably just have to remove trim pieces once the Grabars are removed. Good luck but I would contact Welcome for guidance as well.
Ya I contacted them waiting to hear back. Going to get a magnetic retriever tomorrow and a set of magnetic sockets. I have to buy new sockets anyway since I can't get the trip off without a 13mm and an extender, and well...both of those currently are down somewhere between the a-pillar trim and the firewall. As far as the right side goes I think I'm pretty ****ed, they are reaaaaaally stripped. I'm only concerned with insane rattling they are definitely usable, so if need be I will add some ripper washers under the bottom of the extender or something so it doesn't rattle, though I would much rather be able to remove them and start over
Old 09-20-2015, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

It took four hours, but I got it out. I had to hammer a torx bit into the stripped hex socket. I was able to retrieve the lost socket too those trim pieces come out really easily. I'm going to return the front grab handles though I tried using cutting oil and threading the stock ones in and out but just couldn't get it to work, too gunshy to try it again and not be able to get it out
Old 09-21-2015, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed mine last week, ran into the same issues. There is a fitment problem with the screws imo. I ended up throwing away the directions and thread the pillar side bolts first then put in the top ones. The sleeves on the top bolts are rattling like crazy also so I'm going to add some washers. Good solid product but the hardware design needs work and they could probably have designed the handles to allow the visors to be used as normal too.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

These were much more difficult to put in than expected, as I was expecting them to be cake-work. Some of the issue with them being difficult to thread in is the lock tight in the threads from the factory, spraying WD-40 in the holes and running the bolts in and out without any of the other hardware or handles first helped with this considerably.

Apparently, as best I can tell, the fitment issue (at least the one I had) has to do with the threaded sleeves in the A-pillar not all being aligned at exactly the same angle from the Jeep factory. This is also mentioned in the instructions from Welcome Distributing. Not much WD can do about that. I found the bolts they provided to be pretty strong, I torqued the hell out of mine through the lock tight, and have no rattles.

The passenger one originally did not allow the visor to fold down at all, due to poor alignment of the threaded sleeves in the A-pillar, but the handle and hardware are sturdy enough, that after several good whacks with a baby sledgehammer the grab bar is out of the way, and the visor folds down, but there is still some interference with moving it over to the side window.

Still I am happy with the product as it looks good and is very sturdy, and it is a million percent better than the fabric handles you get from Mopar.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I am just glad I was able to get them out. Lot of hoping and praying and improvising. I couldn't deal with the rattling. I went and got some rubber washers from Home Depot and cut a line, was able to put them on to stop the rattling for a day before I had time to try and get them off but I just couldnt get past the fact that this was my brand new jeep, after getting rid of my 2010, and 2 months after owning I was already going to have a perm. Rattle issue (I know they will come, I know its a jeep, but it bugged me). I might try and ask a local shop to deal with them for me, and I would like to say that customer service for Welcome Distributing has been excellent, I don't think there is much they can do about this, I do think they should start to let people know that in the newer jeeps they aren't as easy to install as they seem. While its annoying Jeep is using a thread locker that is so strong, I can say that in my 2010, those bolts on the a-pillar rattled lose on both sides and were and immense cause of rattle so thats probably why it is so overboard now.

I am thinking of giving Steinjager Rigid handles a try. They are very very very similar to the Grabbars, but their front bar tube construction is all 1 piece rather than 3, less points of rattle should you not be able to fully thread the bolts in place. Because it was clear the handles were fully functional as I had it on the right side, it was just the rattle that I couldn't take.

I know I keep saying it but I would like to say it again to make sure this thread doesn't turn into it...this isn't Welcome Distributing fault I don't think there is anything they can do again besides letting people know its not a cakewalk install anymore, and I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread
Old 09-21-2015, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The lock-tite in the threads seems like it is an issue in the fronts. My front was apart once before due to hail damage repair and the body shop apparently wasn't able to line up the holes the same as factory which apparently made it a lot easier to thread in the replacement bolts. The Grabars went in without much issue but I was told to install the opposite screw to what the instructions told, I think I went with the side bolt first and then the top.

I dropped a screw down the interior trim but I was able to get it out of the bottom by just flexing the plastic a bit. It took a bit of back and forth to get it installed well enough to function but they are tight enough for no rattle. I don't like that they interfere with the sun visors but they definitely work very well for supporting my weight climbing in.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read about problems with install and aligning to the holes(don't cross thread). I threaded the bolts in first to see the angle they would be going in and then installed. Going back and forth from bolt to bolt until tight. It took some extra time, but I had no problems.

Quick Reply: Welcome Distributing GraBars install trouble