Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What all parts will swap over from dana 30 to Dana 44?

Old 03-07-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What all parts will swap over from dana 30 to Dana 44?

I'm looking to swap in a rubi front axle into my 12 JKUS. I keep finding just housings for sale on Craigslist and I want to make sure of what all I can reuse. Such as the spindles and rotors/brakes?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The outer shafts can also be re-used, same 32spline on both axles.

How much are you finding the housings for? You can get a new bare housing for a bit under 1k. The locker itself is about 1400, but you might look at Arb or Ox instead of factory.

You should also do a quick search, there have been many threads about an ebay seller building these factory front d44 axles for under 2k, possibly with a choice of gearing.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a brand new rubi front axle from the guy on eBay for $1700 with 4.56 gears. Came with the locker. I only need to swap over the calipers and rotors. I plan to add sleeves and gussets before installing it.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ngiovas
I bought a brand new rubi front axle from the guy on eBay for $1700 with 4.56 gears. Came with the locker. I only need to swap over the calipers and rotors. I plan to add sleeves and gussets before installing it.
Can you post me a link or pm me the link to this guy on ebay ?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

I am doing the same thing and was going to go the eBay route but decided I want to start off right. After adding the extra beef to the stock Rubicon I could drop and extra $1.5K and get a PR or TF. Both solid units with the strength almost that of a D60 for a lot less. If you get a PR you can get all assembled with R&P and locker from Dynatrac and all you need to do is swap over your outer axles, knuckles, hub bearings and brakes. The Teraflex you just get the housing so you need to source all the parts and put it all together or have a shop do it.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenb1023
I am doing the same thing and was going to go the eBay route but decided I want to start off right. After adding the extra beef to the stock Rubicon I could drop and extra $1.5K and get a PR or TF. Both solid units with the strength almost that of a D60 for a lot less. If you get a PR you can get all assembled with R&P and locker from Dynatrac and all you need to do is swap over your outer axles, knuckles, hub bearings and brakes. The Teraflex you just get the housing so you need to source all the parts and put it all together or have a shop do it.
Exactly which parts of a PR44 are almost as strong as a D60? Setting the housing aside for a moment, you have all the same weak parts that the stock D44 has (and most of what a D30 has): ball joints, hubs, R&P, knuckles, etc. Does the housing get closer to a D60 in strength? Sure, it is a lot closer than a stock D44 is, but still a bit of a way off.

$1700 for a stock D44 + $55 for gussets + $120 for sleeves (or $150 for a truss), and you are still under $2000. Toss some LCA skids on and bracket strength isn't an issue. You'll be nearly $3k more for a PR44. You gain nothing for the $3k. You may perceive more peace of mind, but it doesn't really exist.

And don't forget that the ARB lockers are not plug and play. You need a compressor and have to wire all that up and run air lines.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Exactly which parts of a PR44 are almost as strong as a D60? Setting the housing aside for a moment, you have all the same weak parts that the stock D44 has (and most of what a D30 has): ball joints, hubs, R&P, knuckles, etc. Does the housing get closer to a D60 in strength? Sure, it is a lot closer than a stock D44 is, but still a bit of a way off.

$1700 for a stock D44 + $55 for gussets + $120 for sleeves (or $150 for a truss), and you are still under $2000. Toss some LCA skids on and bracket strength isn't an issue. You'll be nearly $3k more for a PR44. You gain nothing for the $3k. You may perceive more peace of mind, but it doesn't really exist.

And don't forget that the ARB lockers are not plug and play. You need a compressor and have to wire all that up and run air lines.
I'm glad someone gets it. A 60 is worth the coin if you can swing it, if not build a Rubi44, heck even do a cut and turn if you want the caster.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Aries 3D Floor Liners Jeep | 4WheelOnline.com
I got these ones for my jeep, and I like them
I dont have any pics on me right now though, sorry!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

Going on the prices I have researched, quality parts to gusset and sleeve a D30 or a D44 will run you $200 and unless you are a very good welder with the right equipment you will need the welding done for you so add $300 in labor. I can weld and I am fairly good but would not trust my welds in a critical area as the front axle. As for the knuckles, yes a stock set is not as strong as what you get in a D60 but for a few extra$$ there are some very strong aftermarket ones out there. The ball joints is the other weak spot. There are some very good set to be had for some real coin. The Dynatrac set will set you back $500. But it all depends on the tires you are going with and the wheeling you do. Now you can add the truss since I had not decided to put into the figures so will use yours of $150 Moving onto the R&P. Get a cheap one and you are looking at a weak spot. A D44 R&P is bigger than a D30 and yes, a D60 is still a bit larger than the best D44 but to what ends? Not going to run 40s + so the D44 is fine. Since I am not going ARB but the Eaton 4 Pin, again it is just as good as the ARB. Both have their short comings but in the end they are evenly matched so not even getting into that pissing contest. The axles are another point to look at. Stock sucks, but there are some extreamly strong ones to be had for the D44. I will specked out the Dynatracs in house axles instead of the RCVs Not to get into to the actual $number that I have been able to shop (I promised the vendor I would not) the difference in end cost of a built stock D30 housing or a PR44 assembled was $900. The only labor I will have to do is the cost of installing the rear R&P with E locker. To go to 60s would be another 4 to 5K
Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This isnt exactly a fair assessment. And this is not me trying to sell Pro rocks.

The above takes into account the end user doing all the labor and sticking with stock ball joints. And to say you gain nothing over a stock housing that is sleeved vs a pro rock isn't exactly true also. I have seen plenty of Stock 44's that are sleeved and still break. The pro rock 44 gives you thicker tubes, increase castor , Beefier Brackets and for the extra 3,000 you would also have upgraded ball joints.

Also the extra 3,000 would include RCV shafts and the axle fully assembled.

David

Quick Reply: What all parts will swap over from dana 30 to Dana 44?