Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Shocks to Buy For Smooth Ride?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
yeah I thought that Bilstein made the Rubicon shocks
nope they don't.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he sells a lot of something other than Rancho. Haha. The 9000's on setting "1" would be a really soft shock. The adjustments allow for about a 400% change in shock firmness from softest to firmest. Setting 2 or 3 is comparable to a stock twin tube
Old 04-01-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I had my tires at the recommended pressure I think it was 34 or 36 and I dropped them down to 30 about a month back. Helped slightly.

I'm running the BFG Mud Terrain LT 255/75 R17 Tires on Jeep Moab Rims.

I have driven new Jeeps and they ride nothing like mine at all. My neck is pretty much sore all of the time and Los Angeles roads are some of the worst in the nation.
Sounds like your running your pressure where it should be good. Dont know what else to recommend. Good luck on your search.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Try ours out first.
Rancho Suspension: Warranty & Ride Guarantee

Performance Guarantee and 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer
We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers or our Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back.

Take advantage of the rebate too.

Rancho Suspension: SPRING PROMOTION

Good luck with your choice!

I started out with some crappy sport shocks on my jeep jk, and then upgraded to some take off red rubicon shocks. They are better than the sport shocks but it still really feels like I am riding a bull down the freeway. I have a 3 year old too so I'm also going back to street tires from my rubicon MT's as the MTs are insanely loud.

I'm looking for something that will take on bumps smoothly, or the smoothest that a Jeep can do. Just talked with quadratech and he recommended the BILSTEIN Heavy Duty Gas Shock.

Bilstein 24-141734 - BILSTEIN Rear Heavy Duty Gas Shock for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler JK & Wrangler Unlimited JK with 0" Lift - Quadratec

I was thinking that Rancho 9000's were the softest because they are adjustable but this guy said Ranchos will make my Jeep ride like a buggy.

What do you think?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancho
Try ours out first. Rancho Suspension: Warranty & Ride Guarantee Performance Guarantee and 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers or our Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back. Take advantage of the rebate too. Rancho Suspension: SPRING PROMOTION Good luck with your choice!
just got the 7000's and love them.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by jeepsta
just got the 7000's and love them.

Nice! That is what I run too, and I love them.
As I have mentioned before I ran the 9000's for many years on the JK's and then made the switch to the monotubes. It did take a week or so to get used to the new ride feel.
But I have spent 16+ hours on the road with these and 8+ hours on trails (not the same day ) and they were great.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rancho
Try ours out first. Rancho Suspension: Warranty & Ride Guarantee Performance Guarantee and 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers or our Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back. Take advantage of the rebate too. Rancho Suspension: SPRING PROMOTION Good luck with your choice!
So, I'm almost ready to buy. One quick question though. Is the warranty, 90 days? Or is it lifetime? What constitutes extended length? I have a 4"lift. Would my application be "extended length, 90 days"?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Collyn
So, I'm almost ready to buy. One quick question though. Is the warranty, 90 days? Or is it lifetime? What constitutes extended length? I have a 4"lift. Would my application be "extended length, 90 days"?
Warranty is limited lifetime. Keep that receipt. Basically if you are off roading and jump your Jeep and break a shock that is the limited part.
Guarantee is the 90 day part. If you don't like them, call that number.
The shocks for a JK are covered, the extended length are REALLY big, think Monster Truck application.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bilstein and soft ride = fail
Go with the Rancho 9k's or another option are the Old Man Emu Nitrochargers. The regular non-sport ones. They ride real nice.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

I just purchased the Rancho 9000XL shocks after extensive research AND the fact that there is a big fat rebate on them right now that makes them really affordable. They are an American company that actually makes them in the USA which is important to me. They are much beefier looking than the Bilsteins and come with the shock boots as well.

I'm waiting on them to arrive. Should make for a good ride!
Good luck!

Quick Reply: What Shocks to Buy For Smooth Ride?