Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Shocks to Buy For Smooth Ride?

Old 04-13-2014, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
im running an unlimited. I have 18/59 now. I am going with 19/60s because I want the little extra weight capacity and my stockers have 125k on them. I am a firm beliver in replaceing stuff like that at about 100k. just to revive the ride/handling/feel of the rig. I have done it on numerous rigs I owned.
We share the same ideas on replacing parts as they age My JKU has 137,000KMs and continues to run like a top, but you have to take the time in PM.

I had thought if I could pick up some 19/60 take off or the Rubi 10A coils....different # series and I can't recall only having one coffee this morning could be an alternative to 2.5" coils.

My rig is light so don't want to end up with 3+ " of lift on 33s.

Other thoughts are TF performance level coils and small spacers for a "controlled" amount of lift.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancho
That info helps too. The bushings worn will effect height.
well I got mine today and installed them and lo and behold I did get a little over 1/2" lift. crazy I know. mine is a 14 rubicon with 8000 miles so shocks and springs should be in great shape. I can say the pressure on the 7000's is much greater then the stock shocks. I think maybe just not letting the springs settle like stock ones do. I got the ones for a 0-2" lift and the fronts were at least 2" longer then stock both extended and compressed and rears about .75" or so. They are made in Canada and bushings in Mexico not US.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by webejeepin
We share the same ideas on replacing parts as they age My JKU has 137,000KMs and continues to run like a top, but you have to take the time in PM.

I had thought if I could pick up some 19/60 take off or the Rubi 10A coils....different # series and I can't recall only having one coffee this morning could be an alternative to 2.5" coils.

My rig is light so don't want to end up with 3+ " of lift on 33s.

Other thoughts are TF performance level coils and small spacers for a "controlled" amount of lift.

I have the teraflex leveling kit on mine now, and I want to keep the same amount of lift, so the 19/60s are perfect for me. I was looking at 10 a springs but I would be at the point where I would need trackbar relocation, caster correction etc. So the 19/60 combo won.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
I bought the ones for the rubicon, they are a little longer, I have 59 rears/hardtop/trailer package. I can't rememeber what part number, but its the rubicon part number.

These shocks, the front ones look really short in all the photos I see?? Or is it just me? I can't wait to get them...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BLACKJacK
I personally have never known a Wrangler to be a smooth riding vehicle. However take a look at the tire pressure to see if it's possibly too high?

I run mine around 30 pounds.

As for shops I would probably call Your jeep dealer and talk to them about it to see if they have any suggestions as well.
Ditto on the tire pressure. Ikeep mine at 26-28 makes a huge difference in the ride.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

got to put the MT7000's thru the paces yesterday and 100% satisfied. I did over 50 miles at 80-85mph and several miles of 50 mph washboard and pot holed dirt roads and unbelievable how controlled they were. I was a little worried when mounting them as the gas pressure was so high but all for naught as they earn a 5 star rating after yesterday.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Although the shocks you are running may not be the best , the street ride should be fine. The problem isn't your shocks, it has to do with your lift. It increases the angle of your front control arms and makes the ride very rough. You need the AEV geometry correction brackets (about $140). Been there, did it, now rides like stock or better. Best $150 ever spent!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:42 PM
JK Junkie

I never noticed...the measurements are on the website.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On shocks.... I noticed on my current shock a rubicon shock the top spins freely. The passenger side is a little stiffer. Could this free spinning be an indication of a bad shock? I know they will spin easily but this spins real easily......
Old 04-23-2014, 12:55 AM
JK Junkie

could be a seal starting to wear out, and theres not as much friction on the shaft.

Quick Reply: What Shocks to Buy For Smooth Ride?