Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Should I do about My Tires Rubbing?

Old 01-28-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Should I do about My Tires Rubbing?

Last weekend I went on a wheeling trip with our local club. The trails we were on had a lot of off camber situations, and I found that my front tires were frequently rubbing my fenders so severely I thought the tires were going to rip them off. My tires measure out to about 34.50" x 12.50" on 8" wide wheels with 4" of back spacing. I have 3.25" of lift.

The last time I had the Jeep off road I did not have this problem, but I was not on a trail with so many off camber situations, and I had tires at that time that were 11.50" wide. Maybe the additional tire width is part of the problem.

I am trying to figure out the best way to handle this problem. I still have the stock bump stops, should I install extended bump stops, or do I need flat fenders or both?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default extended bumpstops

although you could always do that AND trim your fenders or put new ones on...
Old 01-28-2012, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

Let em rub...mine do too...its a rubber tire on a plastic fender...nothing to worry about.

But, if you don't like it....adjusting bumpstops, trimming flares. Or buy flat fenders.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I already ordered JKS adjustable aluminum bump stops from Northridge this week, and now I am concerned about them limiting my articulation, and if the flat fenders are the way to go. I was thinking that the JK would look goofy with a lot of open space between the tires and the fenders if I had flat fenders with my tire and lift combination. I suppose I could just ignore it as 1BAMFR suggested and just get flat fenders or trim mine if they get ripped off.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottenbelly
This is why I laugh when people think they can run 37-40 with 3 inches of lift.
Yes you can but you're flex is gonna be limited to curb height!

I like my flex so I am running 4.5 inch springs and stock flat fenders. I have dialed in my bumpstops to where tires just barely touch the fenders now.

The adjustable stops should be nice. If you decide to trim your fenders you can readjust later.
But he is not running 37-40" tires on a 2.5" lift.... And if done properly, you most certainly can run 37" tires on a 2.5" lift with no issues.

As for the rubbing, jeep made a horrible design with our fenders. I'm running damn close to the same setup as you are, and have rubbing issues. I have installed diff bumpstops but still get rubbing during certain obstacles. The only real way to alleviate this issue without going to a crazy lift and having your tires look tiny, is to either trim the fender or replace with flats. I run with a lot of guys with trimmed fenders, and I'm the only guy out there sounding like a mini Gatling gun on the trail..
Old 01-28-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a big fan of not limiting articulation with extended bumpstops. I rand my 08 JKU on 37s that way and it did great with no problems at all. Some will say you will suffer early spring failure but I ran that way for 3 years with no problems. That was with a BB and stock springs as well.

So I say, trim the flares or go flatties. Trim is free at least except for the door edge molding.

Planman has some excellent write ups about big tires, minimal lift. Check em out.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rottenbelly
This is why I laugh when people think they can run 37-40 with 3 inches of lift.
Yes you can but you're flex is gonna be limited to curb height!
You can still get flex with big tires and minimal lift - you just need to set it up for droop.

But...to answer the OP, looks like you've already figured out that bumpstops or flat fenders are the solution to your problem.

Here's mine flexing with a Leveling Kit and Xenon flats.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CHIPPER916
I already ordered JKS adjustable aluminum bump stops from Northridge this week, and now I am concerned about them limiting my articulation, and if the flat fenders are the way to go. I was thinking that the JK would look goofy with a lot of open space between the tires and the fenders if I had flat fenders with my tire and lift combination. I suppose I could just ignore it as 1BAMFR suggested and just get flat fenders or trim mine if they get ripped off.

I just realized what a stupid comment this was. My articulation is already limited by my fenders. I suppose I will give the extended bump stops a try and then go the flat fender route if I still have rubbing issues.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just get a 1" body lift.

Quick Reply: What Should I do about My Tires Rubbing?