Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do next to improve ride quality

Old 03-16-2017, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shock are about 1 year and the tires are brand new I will be installing front and rear track bars and lower control arms this weekend so we will see how it improves the ride
Old 03-16-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Whats the load rating on the tires and how much psi are you running? The standard OME coils would most likely been a better choice with a better ride and the teraflex shocks are really not an upgrade from the stock shocks. Correcting caster should help quite a bit as well as lining up the front and rear axles with new track bars. You might be catching truck grooves on one axle with them being off set.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunejk13
Shock are about 1 year and the tires are brand new I will be installing front and rear track bars and lower control arms this weekend so we will see how it improves the ride
While you're throwing parts at it without really trying to understand where your problems are at, why don't you throw a couple Dana 60s under it also? That should help firm things up.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think TheDirtman has it covered:

Castor correction: 5 degrees is usually what you want to strive for with a lifted Jeep and bigger tires. This will dramatically improve handling. Easiest and cheapest path would be to install a castor correction bracket (AEV, RE, JKS, etc.). This does drop down the control arm mounting point, but will give you similar angles to a long arm kit.

Track bars: Will help firm up the stock steering. I found a slight lag in the steering with the stock track bar that completely disappeared with a beefy adjustable track bar.

Tire pressure: Performing a chalk test will get you between the best comfort and fuel economy levels. If your tires are too hard it can make the Jeep feel like an old wagon bouncing down the highway.

Shocks: I like my Bilstein monotubes for comfort, they absorb bumps and recover quickly.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Installed my front lower fixed length control arms and front trackbar and wow what a huge difference in made. I was trying to figure out the rear track bar should I get rid of the the frame side bracket and just run the jks bar or run both
Old 03-18-2017, 08:26 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You should run a raised axle side bracket not a frame side. This will raise the roll center and make the jeep more stable in off camber situations off road and you will have less body roll in turns on the road.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the front lowers and trackbars removed frame side bracket for track bar. Found the front was off by 3/4 inch and rear was off 1/2 inch
then had it aligned and wow the ride is night and day it crazy how much better it rides now

Last edited by Dunejk13; 03-23-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: What should I do next to improve ride quality