Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size coil springs??

Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What size coil springs??

AHHH, I am pulling my hair out....on deciding what coil springs. I have had great advice from Eddie & David. I just want to be 100% sure on which coil springs I purchase so I am putting it out to the forum as well. Currently, have JKU sahara with 2" RE with monoshocks. I have on Order and waiting to add the below...but my current lift will have to much sag:

Adding Lod Mid-width & Warn XD9000i to the front
Adding Lod rear bumper with tire carrier
Next set of tires will be 35x12.50R17 (currently running 33x12.5R17 STT's)

It's a daily driver for my family as well as weekend warrior for off-roading. Also, with the new coil lift I have ordered JKS adj. front & rear trackbars, rear swaybar links, lower adj. control arms & my current RE monoshocks will work for the lifts I am considering.

The coil springs I am ready to order: 2" OME HD coil springs....

With the OME HD springs setup will I clear the stock fenders with 35's at full flex and disco'ed with the added weight or would it be good to add a 3/4 spacer to the springs? How much lift has most members seen with the OME HD coils springs on an Unlimited?

I don't want any crazy tall rig....just for COG and also, it has to be easy enough to buckle my kids into the car seats.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Mike

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 01-12-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running the OME medium duty coils on my 4 door with 35" GY Kevlar's (true 35" tire) without aftermarket bumpers and have no rub issues at full flex with 2" bumpstops in place. I haven't tried it without the bumpstops, but they are not included in the lift kit so they may not be necessary. I am confident that the heavy duty coils with bumpers will clear any 35, but you may need to add the bumpstops. My front bumper is now 5" higher than stock between the new coils and the increased tire height.
BTW, I am very happy with the height. I was looking for the smallest lift I could use to fit 35's under without rubbing anywhere on the trail. I thought I would have to trim the fenders as well as the spot weld in the rear to make it work, but to my surprise, I have not had any issues.
I too have two carseats in the back and have no issues buckling them in. My 5'2" wife is however unable to reach the seatbelt without climbing in first (which I have heard many complaints about).
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Junkie

Coil springs are simple mechanical devices and easy to calculate their deflection under load if you have their dimensions (number of coils, coil diameter, wire diameter) so it is not too difficult to determine how high your JK will ride.

The ride of the coils is another matter simply due to its dynamic nature. If you are too focused on how high your JK sits you may not be happy with the ride the coils provide.

If you are very sensitive to the height and rake of your Jeep and you are changing or adding parts then maybe you should consider the JKS ACOS (adjustable coil spacers) that have a fairly large adjustment range (~2-2.5") and they will have less of an impact on your ride.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like it will be a good set up for your stated needs. I've definitely wheeled my OME (and now long travel OME) and its been solid on road and off road has done what I've asked. sorry I don't have measurements.

•glad you're adding front lower control arms.

•x2 on the bumpstops.
with the 35's I'd rec putting the front bumpstops on while doing lift so you don't have to take everything apart again. rear bumpstops can be added at any time

•same on the spacer. .75 should level you out

•rubbing: my 35's cleared the pinchseam & rubi sliders but looked close. remember the rear wheel travels up and back. not sure how true of a size tire yours is. BFG's run smaller so they cleared. WOL's Goodyears required some trimming on the pinchseam. not sure if the backside of your bumper will be an issue - maybe someone else with a LOD can chime in.

•brakelines: mine seemed close to full stretch with standard OME but we're ok. if you put on longer travel shocks you'll have to address them.

•C-gussets: if you don't have them, think about them on sooner side with the 35s
Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Here is a shot of an:
OME HD + 3/4" spacer
2" lower bumpstops
295/75/16 terra grapplers (32" 'actual' height)
Rugged Ridge xhd w/warn 9500 winch
Disconnected

Before the bumpstops were added, it was rubbing bad enough to rip the fenders off. With bumpstops and those tires, the rubbing was light enough that I figured I'd just trim. Bumpstops are definitely a good call if you're disconnecting. (I have 315/75/16 maxxis bighorns now, but have not gone out to check the clearance on them yet)

Also be sure to check your brake lines before you get out in the boonies. With MD rear coils & extended crown lines, I still ripped a rear line off the frame. (added $5 Home Depot extensions in addition to the crowns)

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-12-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Jedi

I already have the 2" Bumpstops from my RE BB and monoshocks...so I am good to go with that! I will be adding Brakeline relocation brackets to be safe.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Check with DtownJK. He's running the OME HD coils with 35's on his Daily Driver 4 door with front/rear bumpers and winch. I don't think he's having any clearance issues. I do think he added a 3/4" spacer ...

Good Luck.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
Check with DtownJK. He's running the OME HD coils with 35's on his Daily Driver 4 door with front/rear bumpers and winch. I don't think he's having any clearance issues. I do think he added a 3/4" spacer ...

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info...PM'ed DtownJK...but would love to hear from more members
Old 01-12-2010, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi

Curious......Should I look at the TF 2.5" coil springs over the OME HD coil springs???
Old 01-12-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

I have the OME HD coils (619 front/618 rear) and have had no rubbing issues at all, even when disconnected. I also have extended bumpstops and brakelines. Mine actually sits about 1/2" higher in front on a 2 door X but I plan on adding a winch to the front in the future to level it out.

Quick Reply: What size coil springs??