Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What wheels to use for IROK 35X14.5R17 on JK Rubicon with 2.5" lift

Old 08-19-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What wheels to use for IROK 35X14.5R17 on JK Rubicon with 2.5" lift

Anyone running these? If so what kind of wheels did you mount them on and where can they be purchased?

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them on mine at the moment on a 3.5bs wheel but i have different axles and lift and such.. You will want a pretty low backspaced rim or possibly even say a 4.5 bs rim and a wheel spacer
Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Maertz
I have them on mine at the moment on a 3.5bs wheel but i have different axles and lift and such.. You will want a pretty low backspaced rim or possibly even say a 4.5 bs rim and a wheel spacer
How do you like them for Rock Crawling?

I'm hoping someone makes a wheel with adequate backspacing so I don't have to use wheel spacers. For the stock Rubicon Dana 44 I need a 17" rim 5x5.0. Most of the rims I can find are around 4.5" backspacing.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:51 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by FlatlanderWB
How do you like them for Rock Crawling?

I'm hoping someone makes a wheel with adequate backspacing so I don't have to use wheel spacers. For the stock Rubicon Dana 44 I need a 17" rim 5x5.0. Most of the rims I can find are around 4.5" backspacing.
personally id want more backspacing if i were you. Id want 3.5 or less.. They work out great for crawling, but personally ive seen tons of tires in the rocks and none really "shine" unless you get to comp composition, most tires do just fine. tons of guys have irocks out here. Im about to take mine off and put on 39.5 x 13.5 irocks though in a radial. Are the ones your looking at bias ply or radial?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Maertz
personally id want more backspacing if i were you. Id want 3.5 or less.. They work out great for crawling, but personally ive seen tons of tires in the rocks and none really "shine" unless you get to comp composition, most tires do just fine. tons of guys have irocks out here. Im about to take mine off and put on 39.5 x 13.5 irocks though in a radial. Are the ones your looking at bias ply or radial?
Yes, I'm hoping to find something with about 3.5" BS.

I'm looking at a radial. Was thinking about a 35X12.5 MTR. But thought the softer rubber and wider footprint of the 14.5 IROK might provide a significant advantage on the rocks. Hoping to stay with the stock Rubicon Dana 44s and don't like breaking drivetrain components so don't plan to go bigger than 35s.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by FlatlanderWB
Yes, I'm hoping to find something with about 3.5" BS.

I'm looking at a radial. Was thinking about a 35X12.5 MTR. But thought the softer rubber and wider footprint of the 14.5 IROK might provide a significant advantage on the rocks. Hoping to stay with the stock Rubicon Dana 44s and don't like breaking drivetrain components so don't plan to go bigger than 35s.
my buddy has 35" mtrks and id say they did well in the rocks... I see a ton of bias irocks but not many radial, im sure they will perform pretty equally, but the wider tire would definitely help.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

I've been giving back spacing for the 35x14.5 IROK a lot of thought. There is a sticky on the wrangler forum: Largest tire on stock JK? Here's your answer! - Jeep Wrangler Forum The jest of the discussion is that a 10" wide tire is the widest you can mount on a stock JK rim without rubbing. The stock JK rims are 7.5" wide and have 6.25" back spacing. The bulge on a 10" tire sticks out (10-7.5)/2= 1.25" beyond the rim on each side. So the inside edge of the bulge is 6.25+1.25=7.5" from the wheel mounting surface. Theoretically if I get the inside bulge on the 35X14.5 IROK the same distance or closer to the mounting surface I should be OK??? If I put the 35x14.5 IROK on a 9" rim then the bulge will stick out (14.5-9)/2=2.75" on each side of the rim. So the minimum backspacing would be 7.5-2.75=4.75"??? That is 4.75" of backspacing plus 2.75" of bulge puts the inside bulge 7.5" from the mounting surface. So a 17x9 with 4.5" backspacing should work????? I found a 3.5" bs wheel but I hate to put the wheel out any farther than necessary because of concerns about wheel bearing and axle stress.

Can someone check my logic and tell me if it is correct or if not why and what would be the proper way to figure this?
Old 07-20-2022, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Hi, did you ever get those IROK 35X14.5R17's? I am considerng them myself because I like the look of wide tires, wanted to hear what your experience was.

-Thank you!

Quick Reply: What wheels to use for IROK 35X14.5R17 on JK Rubicon with 2.5" lift