Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What winch

Old 12-07-2016, 02:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that the best deal you will get on a winch is the white-box non branded Smittybilt X20 from 4WD.com. It's the same exact Smittybilt X2O winch, but just unbranded/white boxed. Same synthetic line, everything is the same. But, dirt cheap! (Hint... when you pull it out of the box, it is actually branded SB X2O! It's just the packaging that is unbranded!)

Call Sara Hobbs at 800-333-5535 Extension 4874 and tell her the annoying prick Larry with the Willys Wheeler JK said to call. She is my go-to girl for ordering parts and shaking her down to save me money! Try it, you'll be amazed at how cheap you can get that winch.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
I would say that the best deal you will get on a winch is the white-box non branded Smittybilt X20 from 4WD.com. It's the same exact Smittybilt X2O winch, but just unbranded/white boxed. Same synthetic line, everything is the same. But, dirt cheap! (Hint... when you pull it out of the box, it is actually branded SB X2O! It's just the packaging that is unbranded!)

Call Sara Hobbs at 800-333-5535 Extension 4874 and tell her the annoying prick Larry with the Willys Wheeler JK said to call. She is my go-to girl for ordering parts and shaking her down to save me money! Try it, you'll be amazed at how cheap you can get that winch.
I picked this up on Black Friday, and my "white box" waiting on the porch was a FULLY branded/labeled Smitty X20. Pricing was unreal for similarly classed units.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my smittybilt x20 12k. For the money it works for me.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by zackjk
I have an engo 10000 S on mine. If I had the money, I would have went Warn but couldn't justify spending that kind of money. My Engo has gotten me out of a few sticky situations (including the one below) and pulled out full size trucks. At the same time it has left me stranded in the middle if no where. One great thing is Engo has a good warranty/ customer service so if something goes wrong they will hook you up.
Nah, you made the right call. My Warn PowerPlant failed on me because the solenoid let some water in just from getting rained on/washed. I was amazed. What was even more amazing was that Warn had nothing to comment about the issue, and I ended up replacing the solenoid. Was not cheap either; $260 for a simple part.

Still amazed people preach buying a Warn and justifying spending the $$$. It's 2016 and technology has come a long way. Unless it's an old school M8274, I'm never buying a Warn again (assuming the PowerPlant fails me again). I also never go into the woods alone anyways, so if I were to do it again I'd just pick up an Engo or Smittybilt and call it a day.

Last edited by BoraBora; 12-08-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

I'm the 3rd owner of a badlands 12000 ( yes the harbor freight winch). All I did was break it down and repack all the gears in it. Now I am not by any means a hardcore off-roader but for what I paid for it and the work I had to put into it I'm happy.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Default What Winch

I have friends that swear by Warn and friends that swear by smitty they both are good reliable I neither of my friends have had problems with smitty or warn. I plan on going with smitty just for the price. Good luck man
Old 12-09-2016, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

What is the difference in the price between the smitty and the warn? I know warn is expensive but how much cheaper is Smitty
Old 12-09-2016, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Those badlands winches are good solid winches. I have one on my jeep. Used them all the time off-roading in Alaska and they never failed The others are stupid money for what you get
Old 12-09-2016, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fitti6
What is the difference in the price between the smitty and the warn? I know warn is expensive but how much cheaper is Smitty
I paid under 380 on Black Friday. 10k with syn
Old 12-09-2016, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by landoawd
I paid under 380 on Black Friday. 10k with syn
Wow 380?? I paid around 450 for 20k synthetic and thought that was good

Quick Reply: What winch