Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What would you do first?
Lift
51.79%
New shoes
30.36%
Bumbers
17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

What would you do first?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do first?

If you were one on a limited budget, but wanted to start building your rig slowly, what would you do first, and why?

New shoes (wheels and rubber)?
Bumpers?
Lift?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Default Appearance or Performance?

Your question is a good one because there's really no wrong way to go. Here's what I'm doing in order:
AEM Intake
Magna Flow Exhaust
Full Traction 3" lift
Wheels (maybe Walker Evans Bead Locks)
35" Tires (The jury is still out as to which make)
PJ Stubby front bumper with winch
I'd really like to do an Avenger Supercharger but it's a wait until at least February and there's no pricing yet. I've always wanted a rig with a blower their units seem to be reliable and it would set our Jeep up a little bit different than most out there. So...I reserve the right to be patient and wait for Avenger to bring their gear to market For me it's enjoying the process of matching the pieces together, reading the threads here in the forum and talking to our members about what their doing. That's why I always tell people to post their images so we can see what's being accomplished. I'm not sure you ever get a Jeep "done"...there's always something new comin' along.
Good luck

Last edited by biglynny; 01-08-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

I would say Lift and Shoes go hand in hand, building from a stock jeep.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

how big of a lift are you gonna get? I think it was Rubimon who posted pics of his lift with the stock rubi 32"s and it just looked funny. Even if i had the Rubicon, i would be swapping to bigger meats the same time as i put the lift on. It just doesnt look right, in my opinion, lifted without the meat to go with it.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericdewayne
how big of a lift are you gonna get? I think it was Rubimon who posted pics of his lift with the stock rubi 32"s and it just looked funny. Even if i had the Rubicon, i would be swapping to bigger meats the same time as i put the lift on. It just doesnt look right, in my opinion, lifted without the meat to go with it.
it's also a little safer, as bigger tires on aftermarket wheels or with spacers will widen your stance, helping with the CoG after lifting it.

back to the poll....
why isn't armor an option? i want to see what all my rig can do out of the box before i decide on the direction of my build, but no matter what you do, if you take it off-road, you need to armor it...
Old 01-09-2007, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

My humble opinion out of your choices are tires with traction.

After that, look towards skid plates and a locker up front. I hate to say it and I will likely get flamed for it, but the best bang for the buck mods are the ones you can't see. The traction devices (lockers or equivalent) and skid plates/rock rails do the most for you. No matter how high you go, you will always hit something.

That said, everyone shoots for tires or lift (or both) first because it "looks good". Don't get me wrong, the clearance helps, but bang for buck, mod to mod, the $250 I spent to put a lock-right in the front of my XJ did so much more for off road capability then the thousands I dumped into a lift and all the other goodies that the lift required.

Just my $0.02
Old 01-09-2007, 05:08 AM
JK Jedi Master

Depends what your going to do with your rig..

If your go offroad. Armor is a must, unless you like rocker damage.

If its a road jeep. throw some new meats on it.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:27 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to go with tires for my first anticipated change.

I need to feed some mini-me's first. Eventually i will get it lifted.

Whatsa bumber?

is that like a cold bottom?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Whatsa bumber?

is that like a cold bottom?
Oops...guess that's what happens when you're rushing....

Uses, well, it will be used off-road, just not heavy rock climbing. Currently in NOVA and have only been to GWNF and Paragon in a former vehicle that only had a lift and new shoes on it. But I'm looking at moving back home to the West Coast (Oregon) and not sure what I'll find out there.

Armor is a good call. I wish I had more on other rigs. That does seem to be the smart way to go. Thanks all.

Last edited by KiltedJK; 01-09-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would purchase the parts for the lift and not install until I can afford the wheels and tires to go with it. Nothing wrong with holding onto stuff until the right time to install it. At least it is paid for.

Quick Reply: What would you do first?