Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your Thoughts on Installing a Supercharger in a 2011 3.8?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What are your Thoughts on Installing a Supercharger in a 2011 3.8?

I am close to having a Magnuson Supercharger put on the JK. This is no small decision as it will run about $7K. I will gain about 100 hp and 80 ft. lbs of torque in the process with supposedly no decrease in MPG and total drivability on and off road.
Who out there in Forumville has done this? Would you recommend it? Why or why not?
I realize I could get similar results by upgrading the Jeep to a 2012 or newer but I don't want to lose all the extras I have on mine and don't want to be spending $15K after a trade in.
Your thoughts please.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MPG won't change if your driving habits don't change. However, if that were true, then you wouldn't buy one. Let's say that when you accelerate right now, you're using 150hp. If you get a super charger and then accelerate harder, you're using more HP - let's say 225hp. To create more power, you need more air and the equivalent ratio of more fuel. If most of your driving is highway, you could actually see a small increase in MPG as the engine becomes more efficient (air being pushed in rather than sucked in).

As for that specific supercharger, I think there are benefits to a roots type blower if you offroad a lot and it's a lot of crawling since there is more torque down low. If you drive an auto, it really doesn't matter as the torque converter doesn't lock until about 2200 rpm (somewhere around there). In that case, a RIPP works just as well.

I don't own any of them. From what I've read in the many threads, my take has been that the Magnuson is still new and there are still bugs in the tune, including with the transmission. Same with Edelbrock. RIPP straight works. Sprintex seems to be the other that works well and that is a roots type blower.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-22-2015, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Magnuson is a supercharger powerhouse so if that's the rout u take I would take it with them
Old 05-25-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default My experience

Was one of the early sprintex 3.8 adopters and had my share of issues. All of them software related. Is totally sorted now and goes very well. The major jeep importer where I live has pretty much stopped bringing in RIPP and switched to Sprintex.

My bias is obvious although in the early days I did wish I had gone RIPP due to the early tuning issues. I think the major difference between Magnuson, Sprintex and RIPP is that the first two are fully engineered add on superchargers that once installed look like the engine came from the factory that way. The last one looks like a collection of hoses and parts. Still works though.

On the 3.8 power wise I believe that the RIPP makes the most although it comes in higher up being a centrifugal. I know from personal experience both on road and on trail the the fantastic low down torque I get from the sprintex because its a twin screw works for me. I dont spend much time at 5000 rpm. While the RIPP has a more linear torque curve the first two are flatter from the get go. I believe that is one of the reasons why RIPP did the long tube headers. To help bulk up the area under the torque curve.

My best item of advice no matter which way you go is to find a diablosport CMR tuner in your neck of the woods and become their best friend.

No matter what any blower vendor tells you there is absolutely no way that they can match the global R&D that Chrysler does to get the factory tune to run well just about anywhere on the planet. You will need to make changes to the tune and the email tune dance gets old real quick.

Good luck should you decided to go ahead. I am sure any blower will be better than what you have and at the end of the day it comes down to your needs, who you buy in to and what you can afford.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SAJK
Was one of the early sprintex 3.8 adopters and had my share of issues. All of them software related. Is totally sorted now and goes very well. The major jeep importer where I live has pretty much stopped bringing in RIPP and switched to Sprintex.

My bias is obvious although in the early days I did wish I had gone RIPP due to the early tuning issues. I think the major difference between Magnuson, Sprintex and RIPP is that the first two are fully engineered add on superchargers that once installed look like the engine came from the factory that way. The last one looks like a collection of hoses and parts. Still works though.

On the 3.8 power wise I believe that the RIPP makes the most although it comes in higher up being a centrifugal. I know from personal experience both on road and on trail the the fantastic low down torque I get from the sprintex because its a twin screw works for me. I dont spend much time at 5000 rpm. While the RIPP has a more linear torque curve the first two are flatter from the get go. I believe that is one of the reasons why RIPP did the long tube headers. To help bulk up the area under the torque curve.

My best item of advice no matter which way you go is to find a diablosport CMR tuner in your neck of the woods and become their best friend.

No matter what any blower vendor tells you there is absolutely no way that they can match the global R&D that Chrysler does to get the factory tune to run well just about anywhere on the planet. You will need to make changes to the tune and the email tune dance gets old real quick.

Good luck should you decided to go ahead. I am sure any blower will be better than what you have and at the end of the day it comes down to your needs, who you buy in to and what you can afford.

I like your response and I can say with tongue firmly planted in cheek that I spend lots of time at 5000rpm...on the highway going up the hills in second gear to get home from lower elevations (I live at 7000 feet elevation) so that is the reason I am looking at a supercharger in the near future.
Sounds like Magnuson has worked out most if not all of the kinks you describe. The dealer for them is lodged inside the Chevrolet dealer facility and is installing 2-3 of these a week in all makes of vehicles including Jeep.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I pretty well agree with everything you said. Mag or sprintex for superchargers on the jeep. centrifugal S/C's are for high rpm applications,
Old 05-26-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Default but can the trans handle it

Can the trans handle the extra power? especially the auto?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Further more...

My last bit of advice is to also regear. I am running 33's (actually 31.5 measured) with an auto and went from 3.73 to 4.56 which I think with the blower is quite a good combination. With that setup I am at about 2400 rpm at 75 mph which is acceptable.

With my setup I still loose speed (am at 6000 feet so down about 18% on power from sea level) climbing long hills on the highway but 99% of the time now it stays in overdrive and I just let the speed bleed off without pushing it to make it maintain speed. This will cause it to downshift. I have not driven it at sea level but I think it would be a different story.

This kind of answers the transmission question also. Yes you should install a cooler however I have not because I have spent too much money at the moment. I monitor my transmission temps and with the regear they are actually lower than with the constant downshift/upshift dance that 4 speed automatic 3.8 wranglers love so much.

On the trail you will find a sprintex/magnuson blower an absolute revelation. Small throttle openings, bags and bags of torque just off idle, no need to rev the snot out of it to get some power and no uncontrolled power delivery as a centrifugal (RIPP style) suddenly starts producing boost. I would even dare to say that with this style of blower on it the 3.8 is a better trail motor than a 3.6.

Google "sprintex jk dyno chart"

The numbers on the dyno chart are not the point. What is the point is the flatness and early arrival of the torque curve. The maggy looks about the same.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My last bit of advice is to also regear. I am running 33's (actually 31.5 measured) with an auto and went from 3.73 to 4.56 which I think with the blower is quite a good combination. With that setup I am at about 2400 rpm at 75 mph which is acceptable.

With my setup I still loose speed (am at 6000 feet so down about 18% on power from sea level) climbing long hills on the highway but 99% of the time now it stays in overdrive and I just let the speed bleed off without pushing it to make it maintain speed. This will cause it to downshift. I have not driven it at sea level but I think it would be a different story.

This kind of answers the transmission question also. Yes you should install a cooler however I have not because I have spent too much money at the moment. I monitor my transmission temps and with the regear they are actually lower than with the constant downshift/upshift dance that 4 speed automatic 3.8 wranglers love so much.

On the trail you will find a sprintex/magnuson blower an absolute revelation. Small throttle openings, bags and bags of torque just off idle, no need to rev the snot out of it to get some power and no uncontrolled power delivery as a centrifugal (RIPP style) suddenly starts producing boost. I would even dare to say that with this style of blower on it the 3.8 is a better trail motor than a 3.6.

Google "sprintex jk dyno chart"

The numbers on the dyno chart are not the point. What is the point is the flatness and early arrival of the torque curve. The maggy looks about the same.
Exactly. Its not all about HOW much HP and torque you make its about HOW you make the HP and torque. Its useless to have max boost come on at 5000rpm.

When I had my supercharged integra, Doing the typical street light to street light runs, I would beat much higher hp cars using turbos and vortec style chargers as they had to rev the piss out of their cars, I would hit max boost at like 2500 - 3000 rpms with my Jackson Racing charger (eaton), and just pull hard away while they were waiting for boost.

Last edited by Kojack; 05-27-2015 at 01:04 AM.

Quick Reply: What are your Thoughts on Installing a Supercharger in a 2011 3.8?