Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the factory opening temp point for the JK thermostat ?

Old 08-02-2015, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's the factory opening temp point for the JK thermostat ?

195F or 203F ?
I'll start making some improvements on the factory PCM calibration, and one of them is the factory FAN strategy, the low speed fan comes in at 219F, with med and Hi fan speed kicking at 230F, so i'll be lowering that for sure, while still letting the thermostat to do it's job without running the fans forever.

Thanks a lot.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

My 2014 opens around 203. This based on first time it hits 203 temp drops as coolant flows past sensor.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks a lot Jad.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OE thermostat is 191*F
I change my to 181*F and using the Flaspaq I change the settings when the fan comes on to a lower temps. The jeep does not get over 200*F even under load or riding in the woods. I'm in the Everglades and it is Hot and humid.
Do not put a thermostat lower than 181*F you may run into problems with the computer. Also you need some programmer to make the Fan come at lower temps. Otherwise you are not accomplishing much. Only start cooling earlier. But no really cooling the engine more.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for the input Tuto, that also verifies my observations during the past 2 days, driving on the freeway at 65-70mph, i can see the coolant temp in the 192-199F area, this is without the factory plastic air dam underneath the front bumper.

The stock thermostat seems to hold the coolant temp between 192 and 199f while moving, but when not moving, temps goes up at steady pace until it reaches 225-226F when the fan kicks in, from there, the fan desired% ramps up from 10.2% to around 30%, when fan desired reaches 30%, coolant temps will start going down fairly quick until coolant temps=210F, if you start moving at fwy speed, coolant goes down to the 192F-199F area, if not, the cycle repeats again from 210 to 225-226F.

I understand you're able to change the fan temp with Superchips ? i've emailed my tuning software vendor to see why i'm not able to control the fan in the Jeep yet, they just added suport for the Chrysler platform not too long ago, and perhaps this is one area where they need to enable some sort of master switch or something in the calibration for us to be able to control the fan. in the meantime, i've removed some torque management, and have removed the fueling delay we have from the factory, going from part throttle to WOT, it takes about 2 sec from the moment you put the pedal to the metal for the pcm to dump fuel from part throttle to WOT, yes the Jeep is not a sport car, but it bothers me to see this kind of behavior in my vehicle, Jeep is not the only manufacturer that does this, GM does the same with their Chevy trucks, and Ford does the same with their F150's, we just like to improve what the factory did

Also to note, the factory location for the IAT, which if i'm right, is just in front and slightly above of the radiator, which is causing the IAT's to raise tremendously when the Jeep is not moving, yesterday i was seeing 140-160F IAT's while on traffic with 83F outside.
I'll see if i can get some sort of insulation to wrap around the intake tract, and see whether or not i can keep those IAT's a tad cooler, cooler IAT's = more power as the PCM doesn't have to remove so much timing as a result of the engine ingesting hot air, and better throttle response, again, it's not a sport car, but every little thing helps, this 3.6L's are fairly peppy from the factory, but i want to make things a bit better if i can.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone been able to change the temp which the fan comes on for a 2016 JK? I've checked with tech support for the AEV and Flashpaq and was told that their programmer's do not have the ability to change the 3.6L fan temp setting. Any help regarding what I need to purchase to lower the temp that my fan comes on would be appreciated.

thanks I advance.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

the temps affect MPG / emissions, thats why manufacturers run things a little hotter these days (and run thinner oils).

anyways, little tweaks here and there wont net you lots of power. if you want power skip spending money on all the little tricks and just go big.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep-3-8l-v6-supercharged-dynochart.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	637157
Old 02-10-2016, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by crawldad
the temps affect MPG / emissions, thats why manufacturers run things a little hotter these days (and run thinner oils).

anyways, little tweaks here and there wont net you lots of power. if you want power skip spending money on all the little tricks and just go big.

Attachment 637157

I'm not looking for performance. I'm actually running a plow in our neighborhood, and while I'm driving with the plow attached to the front of the Jeep the temps get as high as 230, at which time the fan kicks into high speed. I just want to be able to lower the high speed fan starting temp to around 215. 230 makes me uncomfortable and its hard on all he components under the hood.

So my question is, who, if anyone, is selling a reprogrammer that will reset the fan speed temp on a 2016 JK?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12647122_229599690714279_368390354046031437_n.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	637170  
Old 02-10-2016, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oldmanfunk

I'm not looking for performance. I'm actually running a plow in our neighborhood, and while I'm driving with the plow attached to the front of the Jeep the temps get as high as 230, at which time the fan kicks into high speed. I just want to be able to lower the high speed fan starting temp to around 215. 230 makes me uncomfortable and its hard on all he components under the hood.

So my question is, who, if anyone, is selling a reprogrammer that will reset the fan speed temp on a 2016 JK?
My Bullydog GT can set the fan temp, I think. I know you can manually set it on high speed or off for water crossing. It's at the shop getting a regear done, so I can't check right now.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
My Bullydog GT can set the fan temp, I think. I know you can manually set it on high speed or off for water crossing. It's at the shop getting a regear done, so I can't check right now.
The Bulldog GT does NOTHING with regards to fan control on a 2013 JK...

Besides, I specifically asked a question regarding a 2016! FYI, there are hug differences between the 2013 and a 2016 OEM's ECM program. So, programmers that would possibly work on a 2013 most likely will not work on a 2016. That's why I SPECFCALY ask bout a 2016

Quick Reply: What's the factory opening temp point for the JK thermostat ?