Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel, fender, bumper weights...

Old 12-16-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel, fender, bumper weights...

Does anyone know the weights of popular wheels (in stock diameter)? Stock '13s v AEV v American Racing v steel, etc? Personally I like the look of the stock '13 Rubi wheels but they look heavy...

How about fenders? Is there a weight advantage to replacing them with aluminum tube (i.e. GenRight) or is it mostly a cosmetic improvement?

I have driven a few '12/'13 Wranglers now and it seems like reducing weight (especially unsprung) is a great thing to do...

New to Jeeps, so any info would be appreciated!!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the exact weights but the stock tires and wheels on the rubi are very light. Most after market 35s and such weight over twice what the stock setup weighs.

The stock plastic fenders and bumpers are almost weightless. The heaviest thing on the front of the JK is the swaybar. I remove mine since I wheel it in places where it has to flex a lot and it aways rubbed on the stow pins. That thing was just shy of 100 pounds.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

100 lbs!!?! Great to know, for sure. Again, I am new to Jeeps (Ford and Toyota 4x4s previously) so pardon the noob questions but...

I use my '13 on the street and highway, so are there a/m bars (tubular maybe?) that are lighter??
Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be lighter versions but not sure on that, have never thought about looking. I do drive mine on the street and highways as well. Only place where there has been really noticed effect with the swaybar gone is on tighter on ramps and I just take them slower than I used to. Will get some body roll on sharp turns but I don't mind that, I think it actually gives it a better ride being gone when on rough roads. With the winch up front and swaybar now gone I think it helped to even things out some.

Welcome to the club and maybe someone else might know more about after market things to help lighten the load for you. I also have removed my rear seat which gave me more room and also shed some weight.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommyfogarty
Does anyone know the weights of popular wheels (in stock diameter)? Stock '13s v AEV v American Racing v steel, etc? Personally I like the look of the stock '13 Rubi wheels but they look heavy...

How about fenders? Is there a weight advantage to replacing them with aluminum tube (i.e. GenRight) or is it mostly a cosmetic improvement?

I have driven a few '12/'13 Wranglers now and it seems like reducing weight (especially unsprung) is a great thing to do...

New to Jeeps, so any info would be appreciated!!
The stock KM2 tire on the Rubicon is 48 pounds. For reference the KM2 in 35X12.50X17 is 66.7 pounds. Definitely not double the weight of the stock tire. The Moab wheels from the 2007-2012 Rubicon is around 25 pounds. Not sure what the 2013 Rubicon wheel weighs, but it's probably close. Most alloy wheels that aren't beadlock will fall around 25 pounds, unless they're blinged out wheels.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by genesbro
I don't know the exact weights but the stock tires and wheels on the rubi are very light. Most after market 35s and such weight over twice what the stock setup weighs.

The stock plastic fenders and bumpers are almost weightless. The heaviest thing on the front of the JK is the swaybar. I remove mine since I wheel it in places where it has to flex a lot and it aways rubbed on the stow pins. That thing was just shy of 100 pounds.
Did you weigh the SB? 100 pounds seems too heavy.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

I'll "unpin" the bar today and see how it feels. I'd guess it's not an issue unless having to make an evasive turn at speed or threshold brake while turning. It surprises me that the stock chunky wheels are similar in weight to wheels with less material, like AEV.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Err. I wouldn't unpin your swaybar and drive around on the road. Granted you are correct that if you aren't making any sudden movements or braking, it may not roll... but you never know. And the jeep loses all its stability. You can definitely feel a major difference without it. I only drive mine a few mk les off the trail to a level place I can reconnect the swaybar and air up. I have left the rear swaybar off for quite some time and noticed absolutely no difference. So if you were going to try and cut weight, by any means, think about disconnecting the rear swaybar first. And aluminum and steel fenders offer a lot of benefits aside from the looks. Steel tube fenders paired with rear crusher corners can make your rig into one tough mother!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tommyfogarty
I'll "unpin" the bar today and see how it feels. I'd guess it's not an issue unless having to make an evasive turn at speed or threshold brake while turning. It surprises me that the stock chunky wheels are similar in weight to wheels with less material, like AEV.
I wouldn't remove the SB for weight savings. There might be a time you need to swerve to miss an animal or car at highway speed and wished it was still there. You might as well remove the sport cage too if you're trying to save on weight.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am not sure there's really much you can do for weight savings aside from buying all the parts in aluminum instead of steel. That will definitely make your wallet a lot lighter too! Hahaha

Quick Reply: Wheel, fender, bumper weights...